Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In search of a benchtop wood planer

I am very new at this. I purchased a Dewalt 735 and couldn't be more happy with performance. Disclaimer unlike a lot who have respond I have no other experience to compare to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mark, I have one of the original Ridgid 13" planers. It works well. Cutech now sells what appears to be the same planer with a spiral cutterhead. It's model number is Cutech 40200H. Another Creeker has the same planer as I and upgraded his with a Cutech 13" spiral cutterhead and rollers. He reported it was much quieter and produced a smoother finish after the upgrade. Cutech makes this in a one and two speed models.
    That was me.

The 'upgrade' to the Cutech cutterhead was well worth it. I used the piss out of the machine last week and was pretty amazed at how well it performed. Way better than the straight knives ever did. A LOT more quiet as well. I do not find myself needed to wear hearing protection now (although I still do).

Based on my experience, I have no problem recommending the Cutech planer with spiral cutterhead. Just keep in mind that it's not the traditional 'spiral'. It has fewer cutters. The upside to fewer cutters is less load on the motor, and the spiral cutterheads do require more load, so I think the Cutech design works well for these machines.

A year back I bought a Grizzly 889Z w/ a spiral head . I think it's good for a benchtop planer . They have discontinued it already , but I'm happy with it . It came with a box in a box, no damage at all . Each box had plastic handles on the ends , I still got them .

I am yet another happy Dewalt 735 owner ! Great performance and although it is a bit load, all planners of that style are load so it is no worse that I expected when I purchased it..

Okay, I’ll join the chorus singing the praises of the Dewalt 735. Purchased it 2 years ago from Home Depot on one of their deals of the day and had it shipped to store for free. Couldn’t be happier. Frankly I don’t understand the need to convert to a spiral cutting head. I get a great surface with the OEM blades. Once in a while a few passes with a hand plane resolves any imperfections. I won’t spend the money or time on a spiral head, but when I need new blades I might opt for Infinity’s HSS replacements.

Over the years, the DeWalt 735 has consistently come out in the top 2 planers in the magazine tool reviews. The DeWalt 734 also receives good reviews, but from what I read and hear the DeWalt 735 is the only way to go.

I own a Dewalt 734, no experience with a 735. I can say the 734 is a way better machine than the original Delta portable planer I started with. Three knife head, locking lever, indexed knives on pins in the cutter head and adjustable fold down in and outfeed tables. I use mine as a jobsite tool as a carpenter. Not sure what the price difference is, but the 734 is a great portable planer that seems to live under the shadow of the 735.
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 12-10-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Only part I can address having no experience with "lunchbox planers"

*Is any one aware of another brand with a true helical cutting head besides Oliver (sp) or Baily (sp)? Jet and Rikon has model with spheral cutting heads. I have read that the helical cutting head provides a smooth cut and is easier to maintain/replace cutting insert.

You can buy an aftermarket spiral or helical cutter head for practically any machine it seems. Somebody makes one even for most of the vintage machines, even some of the less common ones. They are not cheap, but it doesn't look like you get much of a deal buying a machine that comes with one installed (or at least one that comes with a good one anyway).

Shelix is one brand of aftermarket cutter head but there are others.

the latest issue of wood magazine (#279) did a test of planers with both straight knives and inserts. The dewalt came out as the top tool with the straight knives with the smoothest cut. Inserts left ridges that required more sanding.

Those little screamers (I have used Ryobi, Makita, Delta and DeWalt) do an excellent job with straight hss knives. One good reason to go with a helical head is if you work with a lot of softwood. The smaller chips will tend to clog less.

RIKON

https://www.rikontools.com/product/m...ortable-planer

should be able to get one (semi) locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I will chime in also. Another vote for the DW735. It simply cannot be beat for a hobby grade planer. The knives are easy and quick to change.

My jointer is helical and I love it, but I cannot imagine going to straight knives and having to align them after a sharpening. The 735 knives do not need aligning, just drop them in and tighten up. The 735 also gives as good or better finish cut than the helical jointer.
    Same here. I have helical cutter heads on my jointer. Works great but I have no interest in going away from blades on my Dewalt planer. The finish is slightly better; blade replacement is fast and easy; high quality HSS blades are relatively affordable for how long they last me.
    I will add that the OEM blades that came w my Dewalt were a disappointment.