Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: coarse sharpening stone

Thinking about loaded up Cyrstolon stones, and others that I have no idea what they are, just in the accumulation of old stuff, started me thinking about cleaning them. One thing I haven't tried is a pressure washer. I haven't really tried anything, because these are old stones that I have never used. I have a small, convenient to use 120v pressure washer now, so I'm going to try that.

This one just came today. I'm just putting it here so I won't forget it whenever I get to try them out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to need to set up the 20" wet masonry saw pretty soon. When I get around to that, I'm going to use an old diamond blade to try slicing off some of one of the old, loaded up stones that I found here, just to see how it works.

I bought one of the knock-off Eclipse clone jigs to use on the coarse stones. I have two originals, one that I bought new, but I don't want to roll them on these rough things.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-05-2022 at 7:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    The big, coarse stone came a couple of days ago, but I haven't had a chance to try it on an edge yet. It is Big, and I recognized it from rub "bricks" for tile work. It is nice, and flat on all surfaces.

I was looking through Bon Tools stonework tools, and ran across their selection of rub stones. Those are only 6" x2", but I ordered a 24 grit, and a 46 grit, mainly to see what they will do to a beat up chisel. If they are way too coarse, I'll use them sometime for their intended purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Do these load up? Do you use water / oil with them? Do they stay flat / can they be flattened?

As someone who also lacks a grinder and who has been somewhat unsatisfied with sandpaper for flattening the backs of tools in need of much TLC, I'm really interested in a good coarse stone that is better than your standard crystolon and longer lasting than super coarse diamond plates.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 01-05-2022 at 9:55 PM.

Crystolon stones don't stay flat. Fresh 60 or 80 grit PSA sandpaper should get any tool's flat side clean and ready for a diamond stone or whatever else you want to use. There's nothing more aggressive than crystolon, but one has to use it where it's lack of flatness doesn't matter as much.

As per loading, if one uses plenty of oil, it's not an issue, at least it's not for me and I use them quite a bit when refurbishing a damaged blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Crystolon stones don't stay flat. Fresh 60 or 80 grit PSA sandpaper should get any tool's flat side clean and ready for a diamond stone or whatever else you want to use. There's nothing more aggressive than crystolon, but one has to use it where it's lack of flatness doesn't matter as much.

As per loading, if one uses plenty of oil, it's not an issue, at least it's not for me and I use them quite a bit when refurbishing a damaged blade.

I think I've only tried crystolon-type stones that were not oil filled in the past. Water and oil both soaked right through and couldn't prevent clogging.
    I'll have to try one of Norton's oil filled crystolons at some point.

Or, just figure out what the equivelent of "PSA" sandpaper is called here...

I'm not able to answer questions about them yet. Been too busy with other things to do anything but play with one of them yet. My to-do list is long. They do EAT metal.