Thread: Today is Pearl Harbor Day - December 7, 1941

Today is Pearl Harbor Day - December 7, 1941

Today is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. There aren't many people alive today who were there.

There will be a ceremony at Pearl Harbor today.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Yes, a day that is remembered in infamy. Freedom is not free, especially attacks from within....................Never Forget!

We need to make a point to tell younger folks about the significance of teday. They are not taught this in school anymore. My 14 yo grandson came by this afternoon and I point blank asked him if he knew what today was. He couldn't remember. I had to remind him. Schools are not teaching the importance of this anymore and you can see it in the way younger people think and vote these days.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

My grandpa was there. Woke up to a hell of a day. Grandma says the stress of it made his hair fall out. Died ten years later on their farm. Never knew him, dad was a kid when he passed.

God bless them all,
    Chris

Blog Entries
    I have read The Rise An Fall Of The Third Reich and lots of other stuff about the U.K. and Europe. I am just starting to read more about the Pacific. WW II seemed like ancient history when I was a kid. It is hard to believe some of the participant's in those events are still with us.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    -Maurice

Blog Entries
    The real sadness is that the Pearl Harbor attack led to the Atomic Bomb and now we have this https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...vs+atomic+bomb

Blog Entries
    I enlisted in the AF 41 yrs ago today. Visiting the Arizona Memorial is something all should experience imo. God bless our toops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My parents were living on Diamondhead on Dec 7th, my uncle was a fighter pilot stationed at Hickam Field. My dad was the Medical Consultant member of the Territorial Board of Governors and the key sponsor of illegalizing prostitution in Honolulu for the duration (with weekly medical exams) and opponent of the proposal to attempt to camouflage Honolulu from the air similar to the aircraft factories in Culver City Calif. My uncle's plane was destroyed before he could even get off the ground. My mom's daily diary for the next month is fascinating reading (barbed wire invasion defenses on Waikiki Beach is hard to imagine today).

There is a relatively new ten part documentary on the War in the Pacific that appears to be well researched.

My father was working on a big barge in the harbor that morning, driving piles for navy ship moorings. It had a tall derrick, so that's what the Japanese bombed first, the barge, to clear their run towards battleship row. He didn't remember anything about it except waking up on shore behind a big bulldozer blade where someone had put him.
    WoodsShop

It is a definitely a day to remember for us and the whole world.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What is truly amazing about this day this many years later is that we have chosen to forgive and move on. If some have chosen not to forgive the sins of a previous generation I feel a deep sorrow for them. Continually reminding ourselves of the horrors of that day and it’s results does not seem to have a significantly strong detrimental affect on us to keep us from repeating it again and again. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, to name the ones US got involved in. We humans are a sad lot. But the thought that we forgave Japan and Germany makes my day better!

Forgiveness by recent generations is mostly true. Those who suffered during WW2 for the most part felt different. My Father served in both Korea and WW2 and my Mother changed tires on planes at Langley AFB during the big war. I remember many conversations about both wars as I was exposed to lots of Veterans though the American Legion.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-09-2021 at 8:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    What is truly amazing about this day this many years later is that we have chosen to forgive and move on. If some have chosen not to forgive the sins of a previous generation I feel a deep sorrow for them. Continually reminding ourselves of the horrors of that day and it’s results does not seem to have a significantly strong detrimental affect on us to keep us from repeating it again and again. Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, to name the ones US got involved in. We humans are a sad lot. But the thought that we forgave Japan and Germany makes my day better!,
    I think forgiveness is limited to individuals. A country is made up of lots of people, and as time goes by, more and more of them were not alive at the time of WWII. They should not inherit the sins of their ancestors.

But if we can find individuals who committed atrocities, we should prosecute them. There's just not many alive at this point.

What I've seen recently is prosecution of people who were guards at a camp, even though there's no indication that they did anything to the inmates. I doubt if those people had any choice in the matter. Any attempt by them to protest would have resulted in their death, either immediately or from being sent to the Eastern Front.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I keep hoping to read more about the Pacific. I read "Guarded By Angles" by Alan Elsner last week. I thought I was going to be reading "Guarded By Angles" by Alard B. Ages. Elsner's book is about his dad, a Jewish Poll, who pretended to be Ukrainian to stay alive. I am rather depressed.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 02-28-2022 at 9:21 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    There are still some elderly Ukrainians who survived The Holodmor. They must be very depressed.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 6.07.25 AM.png
    Best Regards, Maurice