Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orbital Sanding Discs

Orbital Sanding Discs

i've run low on sanding discs for my 5" sander. I usually just grab what's at the local big box store, Diablo or Norton, etc. I was looking at Klingspor and see they have 3 different discs. Aluminum Oxide, AZ-Plus Alumina Zirconia and something they call greentec.

The Aluminum Oxide I am sure is pretty much like Norton's discs. Anyone use the other two options and is it worth the cost factor?
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Don't know about Klingspor, but Diablo mesh discs are amazing. Try a few. Sometimes they add a few to the regular disc pkgs.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Try supergrit.com

Excellent customer service and great prices on just about anything relating to sanding. That's where I get all my discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Don't know about Klingspor, but Diablo mesh discs are amazing. Try a few. Sometimes they add a few to the regular disc pkgs.
    I do use the mesh discs for 220 grit. And yes, they are amazing but shred fast so for heavy sanding at 80 through 120 i'd prefer a cloth backed disc.

Check out this recent test on YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZDCRFi8dKY

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Mitchell View Post
    Check out this recent test on YT:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZDCRFi8dKY
    Its pretty good.

Went and bought a variety pack, haven't used them yet.

I have talked with a few people that say the cubitron mesh is good only if you keep it flat on panels. If you roll to soften edges or pick up a corner they break up. I still like Abranet

After finally running out of my father's lifetime supply of 3M discs (he worked at 3M for 43 years) I started using Klingspor Sterate A/O discs. Not long after that I found a local source for Mirka Gold in 50 packs. I'd say both are quite good, at least equal or probably better than the 3M discs that I had been using. The 50 pack prices are reasonable for both.

I've got so I just run the Diablo Mesh Discs. I feel they last well, allow good dust collection, and are quickly obtained at my local HD if I've allowed myself to run out.

on a whim I got a pack of the diablo mesh in 120 grit. I am pretty pleased. The price is right and they are fairly durable. Some of the home centers have 50 packs with 10 free + a pad protector. I really like the dust collection.

Do yourself a favor and go to industrial abrasives and try Rhino. Home Depot/Diablo is whacking you like $0.60 a disc. You can buy 50 discs from an commercial abrasive supplier (they dont sell discs that suck) for less than $0.30 a disc... Your getting crushed buying any abrasives at the home center.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-07-2021 at 2:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    on a whim I got a pack of the diablo mesh in 120 grit. I am pretty pleased. The price is right and they are fairly durable. Some of the home centers have 50 packs with 10 free + a pad protector. I really like the dust collection.
    What does the 50+10 pack cost? Here (and on a google search) the only thing I see is 10 packs with the pad protector = 1.50 a disc

** EDIT ** found them.. 50 pack is $0.50/disc

What ever is on sale at SUpergrit. Superb customer service, they ship faster than amazon. Even if their budget discs last half the time, they're only about 1/4 - 1/10 the cost, but even their premium stuff is cheaper than you'll get anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Do yourself a favor and go to industrial abrasives and try Rhino. Home Depot/Diablo is whacking you like $0.60 a disc. You can buy 50 discs from an commercial abrasive supplier (they dont sell discs that suck) for less than $0.30 a disc... Your getting crushed buying any abrasives at the home center.
    I found Rhino in Texas - will they sell to a consumer? Looks more like a business to business company. 0.30 a disc if it's quality is good.

I did watch the video and can grab 3m xtract for about 0.40 a piece from Amazon. Not so bad if it's a great paper. I'll try some.

I have been happy with 16x54 belts and 5" disks from 2sand.com