Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orbital Sanding Discs

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I found Rhino in Texas - will they sell to a consumer? Looks more like a business to business company. 0.30 a disc if it's quality is good.

I did watch the video and can grab 3m xtract for about 0.40 a piece from Amazon. Not so bad if it's a great paper. I'll try some.
    Call me skeptical, but 30 cent discs from India do not instill a great confidence in me. When I finish my Klingspor Gold, I have Mirka Autonet discs on the shelf to try. It's a thinner mesh than Abranet and is around 53 cents per discs in 50 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Call me skeptical, but 30 cent discs from India do not instill a great confidence in me. When I finish my Klingspor Gold, I have Mirka Autonet discs on the shelf to try. It's a thinner mesh than Abranet and is around 53 cents per discs in 50 packs.
    iI agree, i am skeptical on a 30 cent disc, regardless of where it is from. I could understand 0.30 if i was buying large quantity. However the key to sandpaper, and the above video really points it out is how long they last per disc. I would much rather pay 50 cents a piece if over 30 if it lasts 3 times longer.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    https://www.indasa-abrasives.com/global/en is one of the biggest industrial abrasives suppliers to industry with a firmly established reputation in industries that would look at any of our sales as razor stubble. They are far from an "indian" abrasives company. Indasa is actually a Portuguese company (may still fit your xenophobic bent) that is far from just an abrasives company. They are a massive presences in the industrial finishing world.

But have at it and keep blowing your cash.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-09-2021 at 7:51 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    3 times longer.
    You are never going to find any abrasive that last 3 times longer than any other. And P.S. I think if you look the Indasa Rhyno is actually less than $0.30 a disc lol... I just pulled a box from overstock. Gotta love self employment... what is it 930 pm?

rhyno1.jpgRhyno2.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-07-2021 at 9:34 PM.

The indasa are definitely fantastic as far as conventional h&l goes. They are rugged and last long. There is nothing substandard about them. I’ve used them for about a decade now and swear by them. I also get them from 2sand.

But for the mesh discs, which are a little bit of a different animal, the diablos have impressed me. I was previously using Mirka abralon which are great too. But the less pricey diablos have been a pleasant surprise.

I've been using indasa discs for 12 or 15 years and they are good. I recently bought some 5" H&L discs from Empire Abrasives, where I always get my 12" PSA sanding discs. They seem to sand really well but they don't seem to last quite as long, but they are 30 cents a disc plus shipping so it's pretty reasonable. I wouldn't normally have bought these but I was ordering the big discs anyway, and they were having a 10% off sale so actually I guess they were 27 cents a disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The indasa are definitely fantastic as far as conventional h&l goes. They are rugged and last long. There is nothing substandard about them. I’ve used them for about a decade now and swear by them. I also get them from 2sand.

But for the mesh discs, which are a little bit of a different animal, the diablos have impressed me. I was previously using Mirka abralon which are great too. But the less pricey diablos have been a pleasant surprise.
    Do us a favor. No need for a 20K Kuka robot.. do an honest test and see what your paper usage over perhaps 2 50 disc boxes and see if the mesh is 2 for one to the cloth backed. I cant say I did an honest test but we brought in 2 boxes (100 discs) of each grit, it was mirka abranet... and I honestly felt like those discs went away faster than any paper Ive ever had in the shop. And they ate pad protectors for lunch (which is why I understand diablo coming with a protector in every pack). The dust pickup was no better than a 9 hole pad, and what was worse when someone runs them (ya ya business) on a pad without the protector they destroy the pad which costs 15 bucks.

When I was running Abranet I had discs flying across the shop like frisbees because the mesh ate the hooks on the pad protectors and if someone doesnt shut down the sander when its off the work and lets it whip up the disc is airborne. Whats worse is when the the individual doesnt see the disc go airborne and then proceeds to continue sanding with just a pad protector which pretty much finishes off anything left of the pad protector (which was about zero when the disc sailed into outerspace to begin with).

At high $.020 a disc and $0.50 for mesh.. it better be smokin hot. Not my experience. But next time Im near an HD I will most definitely grab a box of 50(60) and give them a go.

Klingspor sent in a phenomenal sample pack. So nice I felt obligated to place an order. Pads dont seem so nice to me.

We sand a lot of solid surface (wet) which is not indicated with cloth indasa but it sands like there is no tomorrow and you cant find much harder to sand than solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    What does the 50+10 pack cost? Here (and on a google search) the only thing I see is 10 packs with the pad protector = 1.50 a disc

** EDIT ** found them.. 50 pack is $0.50/disc
    um……….40 cents a disc.

And , they’re available in close to 2000+ locations today ,right now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-5...H50P/311196042

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    um……….40 cents a disc.

And , they’re available in close to 2000+ locations today ,right now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-5...H50P/311196042
    Yeah, As I clarified at the end of my post, I found the 50+10+the interface pad at my local branch as i stated for $0.50 a disc. If you buy them without the pad your fooling yourself.

Dude. The point was that Indasa is a company in Portugal, NOT India.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-09-2021 at 7:55 AM.

Discussions about sandpaper can get abrasive and rub people the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Discussions about sandpaper can get abrasive and rub people the wrong way.
    So it would appear!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That link was posted to the Felder owner's group and i watched a few minutes of it. Primarily, i scrolled to the end of the video to see who #1 was. I have loads of festool granat, but i think the tests are great for comparing. Its hard to try 50 different brands and find the right one. However, price does not always equal quality. For example, Festool Rubin is some of the worst paper on the planet. It clogs in seconds and doesnt seem to cut much after a couple minutes. Granat on the other hand freaking rocks. I havent tried the mesh products yet.

I'm glad I don't do much sanding.

I see what you did there…pretty smooth.