Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Orbital Sanding Discs

For the love of god don’t skimp on surface prep! .60 isn’t a lot when you consider the time you’ve likely put in. Buy the good stuff with confidence and don’t look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Yeah, As I clarified at the end of my post, I found the 50+10+the interface pad at my local branch as i stated for $0.50 a disc. If you buy them without the pad your fooling yourself.

you weren’t quite accurate though. 40 cents is less than 50 and a pad protector comes included.

I have been using 5" aluminum oxide 9 hole h&l discs from Klingspor that cost $.32 each plus tax & shipping in boxes of 50. I feel they are a good value and comparable to the 3M and Mirka discs I have used in the past.

For what it's worth, Klingspor's website shows production facilities in Poland (900 employees), Germany (600), Ukraine (200) and China (150). Mirka appears to do all its production in Finland. Indasa (Rhyno), a Portuguese corporation, owns a group of eight companies based in Spain, UK, France, Germany, Poland, Brazil, USA and Italy. It does not seem to be associated with Rhino Abrasive Company in India.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-09-2021 at 7:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I have been using 5" aluminum oxide 9 hole h&l discs from Klingspor that cost $.32 each plus tax & shipping in boxes of 50. I feel they are a good value and comparable to the 3M and Mirka discs I have used in the past.

For what it's worth, Klingspor's website shows production facilities in Poland (900 employees), Germany (600), Ukraine (200) and China (150). Mirka appears to do all its production in Finland. Indasa, a Portuguese corporation, owns a group of eight companies based in Spain, UK, France, Germany, Poland, Brazil, USA and Italy. It does not seem to be associated with Rhino Abrasive Company in India.
    Good info honestly. I ordered already - trying 3m's xtract model. Honestly after shipping from Kliingspor, it was the same price to get 3m from Amazon with free shipping.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

6" dynabrades. 3M paper, stick on, auto supplier, plus they deliver free, 3M only let me down once and they more than took care of it.

Again, for what it's worth, here's a fairly recent objective though not exhaustive review of sanding discs https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor.../sanding-discs

I tried Indasa Rhyno discs about 10 years ago and hated them. I don't know if that says how subjective my assessment is or that they have improved since then, but I still have several boxes on the shelf. I may try them again. Rhyno is one of the few name brands that appear to offer 9 hole 5" discs to fit my Festool sander.

I have tried Abranet and had similar issues to Mark's. I found it harder to estimate their wear in the lower grits and using an interface pad is a necessary pain (I will say the worst pad wear occurs when I forget to put a disc on ) I do like them for higher grits and sanding finishes.

May I purchase your unused indasa discs?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    May I purchase your unused indasa discs?
    Sure, I'll pm you.

After watching the Youtube test posted by Ed Mitchell (blog post here https://kmtools.com/blogs/news/the-g...orking-in-2021I guess I will have to try the new 3M ceramic discs when I restock. One thing to consider is that the tester's calculation of cost per gram of wood removed considers only the abrasive cost and ignores the labor cost, which increases the relative value of the faster working discs if you put any value on your time. The Diablo mesh discs do rank pretty high on the test for both speed and value so seem to be a good choice considering big box availability.

I'd be interested to hear from people currently using the 3M Cubitron discs. The film backed discs (775L) would appear to be more durable than the Cubitron ll net discs (710W)- true? If using the mesh are you using an interface pad?
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-09-2021 at 9:37 AM.

I think they gave me the ceramic stuff to try and I never did as it was not flexible enouigh. Really depends on the kind of work you doing, I did tons of small radius sanding and you need a super light sander and some flexibility in the pad and paper. I dont remember the 3M number but they are gold and grey maybe 216U I can look later. no interface pad just paper stuck on.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-09-2021 at 12:35 PM.

I had a commercial account with Klingspor and used all their abrasives. However, several years ago, I stopped using their PSA discs. The adhesive was so strong that even if you could get the release paper off the disc, once the disc was on the sander, you could never remove it in one piece. Once the disc was completely removed, there was still adhesive residue on the pad that had to be removed with solvent. Hopefully, Klingspor has resolved this issue.

if you run your paper till really toast and hot sometimes the glue turns into unobtanium. Ive ruined some dynabrade pads trying to peel the sanding disc and pulling the blue material away from the foam pads.

Maybe not ruined but close started to pull them apart. I have a number of dynabrade pads where I have reduced them from 6" to some amount less on the edge sander, in that case the paper has no back up outside edges but I just fold it around the new reduced surface. Worked very well for somethings I had to sand. Yeah it sucks when you have the paper off and a gaggle of glue still remaining. A heat gun will make the paper release easier but translates to way more glue left on the pad.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-09-2021 at 2:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    you weren’t quite accurate though. 40 cents is less than 50 and a pad protector comes included.
    Again, available at my local branch, and whatever I see on-line with a search for SandNet, is that a 50+10+free pad is available for $0.40. Assortments are useless to me. All others in specific grits are $0.50 free pad. Pads are about $5.00 which i buy now in 5 packs for less than $4 each. Im likely not the best HomeDepot search user.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 12-09-2021 at 4:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    um……….40 cents a disc.

And , they’re available in close to 2000+ locations today ,right now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-5...H50P/311196042
    Correct, and when you click on anything other than the assortment, you are only offered 120, 180, and 320, and ONLY the assortmnet is $0.40, the mere 3 straight grits are $0.50. Thats what Im seeing bubba. Its called the hook bubba. Oldest game in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    However the key to sandpaper, and the above video really points it out is how long they last per disc. I would much rather pay 50 cents a piece if over 30 if it lasts 3 times longer.
    The linked video shows not just how long they last but what is the stock removal rate over time. The best discs cut much faster than the lesser rated ones and the cutting rate decreases more slowly. I definitely don't run my discs for 25 minutes as the effectiveness diminishes much sooner. If I paid twice as much per disc but could remove material twice as fast for the same amount of time I would be way ahead of the game as my time is valuable. Extra time per disc at an acceptable cutting rate would be that much gravy.

There are other factors to consider too, like consistency of grit size and how even the abrasive coating is applied, how tough the backing is and how well it sticks to the pad, all things that don't show up in that particular test and have to be evaluated at the bench.

Grit consistent size is important one manufacturer threw some rocks in. People thought better it cuts faster. Same time it left deeper scratches from the rocks, just a scam.

Grit size is important in autobody polishing so you are not making and chasing some wild grit scratches. Nikken got a lot of sales based on their consistent grit size at least when people were doing water sanding of car finish stuff. I think McGuires bought them last past I used that stuff.

Always depends work you are doing. The backing all of it, i can punch through some on radius work and and. If you do production of same stuff you will know how far a quarter sheet goes just about exactly. that was when I knew same brand, same paper same grit size lost 40 percent of its balls. Nanny state and the new green. Glue was made from recycled politicians, I think it was too slippery.