Thread: New Box Started

New Box Started

I started this box on the weekend. As you can see, it's not complete, at this point isn't sanded or glued together. Once glued, purple heart splines will be added, one on the lid, and two in the body. The box measures 8.5w x 6d x 4h.

I am looking to hear some opinions on the design of the top. I'm not sure if I like the "squareness" of it and hence my question, does something need to be softened?

20211206_021354921_iOS.jpg20211206_023252352_iOS.jpg20211206_023252389_iOS.jpg

Nice looking box. I would chamfer the lid and outside upper rim of the box to soften.

I think you have it right but I might consider insetting (if there is such a word) into the box about a 1/4".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks guys. Mike, the lid is inset into the box already. I tried to match the exposed part to the thickness of the wall. It's pretty close!

Here's a couple boxes I've done with similar construction. I usually chamfer the edges flush with or slightly below the level of the top perimeter. Taken to the extreme it looks like a raised panel. Sometimes I use a radius instead and it makes for a pillow top look.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Those are beautiful. I really like the bottom one, is that cherry and walnut? Did you do anything to reinforce the miters?

Thanks. I once thought it was Cherry, but I think it's really Alder. It has a Walnut top and an Aromatic Cedar liner. I got the wood at a "scraps sale" at a local custom furniture maker. It came from a big stack of dresser drawer sides that were leftover. The corners are not reinforced. It sits on my dresser and holds watches and the like so it's light duty.

If issues pop up I'll add splines like the like the oak box below. The top on that is a little different. It has a tiny magnet that holds it closed.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Here's a couple boxes I've done with similar construction. I usually chamfer the edges flush with or slightly below the level of the top perimeter. Taken to the extreme it looks like a raised panel. Sometimes I use a radius instead and it makes for a pillow top look.

Lars, I would do this with the top on your box.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”