Thread: HELP please with buying a laser engraver

HELP please with buying a laser engraver

I make several custom charcuterie boards and cutting boards where people want their names laser engraved on them. I am currently outsourcing the laser engraving, however I’m doing enough that I think I would be better served by having my own engraver. Any and all input as to what brand would fit my needs would be appreciated. I hoping to stay under $2,000.

Blog Entries
    2k won't buy much better than a K40 upgraded. Maybe can find a 12x18 used, or a used chinese. But really need about 3 to 4 times that with everything you need to run it. There are cheap diode lasers......
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

Don't know anything about this co but its in your price range and big enough to do what you want to do . just came across this
    https://www.robotdigg.com/product/93...RoCkScQAvD_BwE
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you are not doing production work, you may want to look at an Ortur laser, about $500.

Buying a cheep laser depends on your comfort level with working on it. Cheep lasers usually come with poor support. Most Chinese laser will only offer email based support and the language barrier will be cumbersome if at all. This may not work for you when trying to run a business.

The Ortur laser is an LED based laser. It usually does not come in a case and is good for engraving wood only. Led lasers are usually under $1000.

CO2 lasers cost more but can be used for cutting wood and engraving. Cheap K40 version start at about $500 and they go up from there.

https://omtechlaser.com/ is a ok company for the price. It is a US company that imports a Chinese laser and offers US support. Their support is ok but not the best, get what you pay for.

Using it for a business you need to decide, do you want to get work done or work on the laser?
    A man can never have enough tools. Now where did I put that hammer?

Ebay has several 60 watt Chinese lasers for sale that are - or will be - parked in US warehouses, for under $2000. Myself, having bought 3 fiber lasers off Ebay, I wouldn't have a problem buying one of them. Just research the ads, avoid low-count sales sellers, etc...

and FWIW, I my most used laser at the moment is my LS-100, which only has an 18" x 12" work area, it does gobs of work for me! However, if you're parts to engrave will occasionally be larger than 12" in both directions, then get something larger. If not, a smaller machine is great for the space savings...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks so very much

Thank you so much

Thanks so much