Thread: Bentwood bangles

Bentwood bangles

Hi, I wasn’t sure where to put these, but here goes. I have been playing with laminated veneer rings and bracelets with some nice figured veneers. Staring to get the hang of it, put the first coat of wiping varnish on. I think they are going to turn out pretty well. I used flex CA to glue, they are 4 laminations thick which allows a fair bit of spring. These veneers were sprayed with softener before bending, though boiling/steaming works for some. I created several sizes of oval forms from pine. Left to right, Mappa burl, pepperwood, elm burl, amboyna and elm, amboyna and walnut, cluster elm burl.

C7297571-3206-4BFA-B378-B49C609B5D7B.jpgE86A93F1-8D28-4C9E-B5D5-CB31D04D0FBD.jpgD7488118-0FEB-418A-99B0-11450705AB90.jpg4857DDB2-44CF-4459-AD74-8EDE3073BEEF.jpg7CC365ED-75CE-4CB9-8FDB-7CE430B588F4.jpg3F155706-FEA7-4FAF-B0A2-EB4CE6E8515F.jpg

As always, comments/critiques welcome.
    Maria
    A woodchick can chuck wood

All are pretty, but those two tortoise shell ones are super! And I’m pretty sure the tortoises will not claim “patent infringement “!

Natural and unique Maria! I have not used flex CA glue in bent laminations...what are the advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Natural and unique Maria! I have not used flex CA glue in bent laminations...what are the advantages?
    Thanks, Mark. I don’t think there is a particular advantage to the flex CA in this application. I had been making rings using it for the improved water resistance and as a finish that will resist cracking (at least as compared to regular CA finish). But I decided to use the varnish and they are less likely to get wet, so your favorite wood glue would probably be just fine.
    Maria

This is absolutely the correct place to post this and those are...beautiful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am glad to see you were able to wrap your brain around this project, Dr. Alvarado.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I am glad to see you were able to wrap your brain around this project, Dr. Alvarado.
    LOL! They were a real mind bender 😂
    Maria

Very Nice!!

Jim

Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Those are, indeed, beautiful! Thank you for posting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Exceptional work and very different. It certainly makes each one, one of a kind. It would be interesting to learn how they hold up to actual use over time. Keep us informed if you can.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. They are a nice size to show of the bling of the wood grain, and the shapes can be targeted to anyone’s taste.
    Maria

Beautiful work. Are they four layers of commercial veneer?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Beautiful work. Are they four layers of commercial veneer?
    Thanks Chris. There is some variation in the thickness between species, but yes, standard thicknesses. This bunch I got from veneersupplies.com. I also have some Sauers veneer hobby packs. 4-5 layers worked for me. I’ve seen some where the person was aiming for 1/8” final thickness which needed 5-6. One of these came out a bit too flimsy, but I was able to add another layer on the inside surface, and used that same trick to tighten the shape of another. Hope you give them a try!
    Maria