Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MM16 caster question

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Heck View Post
    does this look right to you? I must be totally missing it.

The only thing I can see threaded is the two holes in the back where I remove the mobility kit.

Attachment 469378
    What year is that machine? I sold literally hundreds of MM16's and they always had the base like I described. I am shocked to see this photo.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

casters

Aaron,

Here's a pic that might help --

casters2.jpg

Best,

Ned

Ned, thanks, yeah, my corners are nothing like that.

Erik, i purchased used in 2003 or 2004.

What are my options? Just a std mobile base?

Dissenting opinion. I installed Zambus on my MM24 and regret the decision. They are a pain in the but to raise and lower. For as often (not very) as I move my bandsaw the standard SCM supplied mobility base with the lever and wheels on the back would have been fine.
    Dave

You should be able to drill those angles at the corners to install the casters. There looks to be enough room to get a wrench onto the nut, especially if you have a ratcheting box end wrench in that size. A 1/2” drill would work, but better would be a step drill if you have one as they are less prone to grabbing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    What year is that machine? I sold literally hundreds of MM16's and they always had the base like I described. I am shocked to see this photo.

Erik

My MM16 is built like Aaaron's machine. Mine is a 2004.
    MM16 base.jpgCentauro.jpg

I can't find that similar sticker on mine. I do have a metal plate riveted to the side that lists the motor specs (3.6HP) etc

If the mobilty kit worked, I guess I wouldn't be so interested in changing it out. Maybe my floors are that bad, although they were poured new 15 years ago when we bought the house. But I literally can hardly move it as its bottoming out on the floor too much.

So if I were to consider drilling some holes, would they need to be threaded? I don't know that I know enough to tap a new threaded hole, but I could buy a step drill bit and drill a hole big enough for the threaded rod that comes with the new casters.

My MM16 is from around that same time period...I forget the exact year but it's the 3.6hp with 12" resaw. It has threaded accomodations in the four corners of the base for levelers/casters, but I've never used them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, this is truly odd. Could it be that the very early MM16's had a base more like the ACM or Agazzani saws? That seems like the only explanation. I started with Minimax USA in spring of 2004 and every Centauro I've sold had the design with threaded fittings. No exceptions. Poor photo, below, but you can see ends of those internal crossbeams circled in red...

Capture.JPG

Getting back to the OP's situation, I guess a dolly-type kit like the Portamates would be an option?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I saw the portamates and they look nice. Looks like with a saw of this size, the recommended one would probably be the 3500 or the 3550 series.
    I just ordered $120 worth of casters to replace the crappy ones on the Shop Fox bases.

I don't mind spending that money if I can verify the saw works. I guess that's my next step then.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the conversation. I def learned a bit here.

One benefit to the commercial bases is that you have the ability to make the support structure wider than the machine base if you choose which can be more stable for something top-heavy like a bandsaw. Of course, that raises the cost as you need to put something in the bottom of the mobility solution that can support the machine's weight. Personally, I'd only go the caster route if I had to move the machine a lot. In my case, I very rarely move it, so the OEM mobility solution has been preferable as the saw's base is "on the floor". (Actually on mine, it's on a piece of 3/4" PT plywood so it's level and the rear wheels are off the floor)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your floor is at all uneven, the Zambus style caster may also lead to frustration. When you retract the feet you will have to wind them all the way up or they will find the high spots and jam. That said, I use them under most of my machines.

Regarding the drilling…no need to tap the holes.