Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check my math: Storing Wood in joists

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    Distribution, wind load and snow load can be confounders.
    Good points. I think I've explained the current distribution (or before I moved it down to the floor), wind and snow load are not serious issues here in the Midwest where I live.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Looks like about ~1/4", at the center, assuming I didn't run into issues with doing the measurement. I did leave the pine up there for now, spread out over the same length the 200-300# should be fine.

John J I believe you are correct, a lumber rack is likely the better approach. I don't think I'm going to be using this wood that quickly, I originally bought it to build a bench when SYP was more expensive than hardwood, and that has since gone the other way again, so I've bought a bunch of SYP to build the bench instead. Hence the attraction of attic storage

Sorry, these are built in place rafters/joists, all 2x6 with a 2x8 ridge board.
    You might want to look at making the structure stronger by sistering some 2 x 10's or 2 x 12's alongside the existing 2x6's. You wouldn't need to do the entire building just the area where you intend to store lumber.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I built my lumber rack off the wall studs. If overhead with your span I'd have to add center supports up from the floor/foundation.

Just a quick follow up, put in this lumber rack along one wall. It's ~9' x 16' long. Nice thing is the removable EMT makes it very easy to use this for other things, including storing plywood, or I could just put some regular boards down and use it as part of a shelf. If all that fails I can just remove a few screws at the top, and be done with it. I believe this is about $150 worth of material between the lumber and conduit.

I was unable to get the engineering company to call me back.