Thread: New shop dust collection

New shop dust collection

I am close to completing my new shop. Putting in the Harvey 700 dust extractor with 6” inlet. The local price for 6” sdr pipe and fittings just for main runs and drops, no blast gates hose or machine connections is 1150 at the best wholesale. Looking at Oneida the cost for 6” main and 5 drops and fittings spiral pipe and adjustable elbows not clamp type is about 1200 plus shipping. Will 6” drops with 5” machine connections work if I go all pvc. Machines are 20” planer, 8” jointer, k3 slider, 17 band saw with 2-4”, 5” connection edge sander and 4” router table. Thoughts. All 6 pvc or 6 and 5 metal

thanks
    gary

You will not be able to source 5" in PVC so your 5" drops would need to be flex hose all the way which isn't ideal. 5" is a good size for drops, however, including for the 120mm port on your Euro saw. If you really prefer the PVC, then 6" all the way is not an issue, either. You'll only be using one port at a time and your inlet matches. You do not want a huge duct network with that system, however, so try to thoughtfully design your shop layout with your most demanding collection points closer to the DC if you can...planer and jointer, for example, as well as the edge sander.

Personally, I prefer metal duct and recently moved to clamp-together when I moved into my temporary shop. But I can appreciate that's not in everyone's budget, too. That said, it sounds like the PVC sewer and drain pipe that used to be "very budget friendly" isn't so much anymore, given the comparison between your local cost for PVC and the metal components from Oneida. (exclusive of shipping) You might want to check Blastgate Company and KenCraft and Air Handling Systems for alternative quotes, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did my dust collection with 6" 2729 DWV PVC (schedule 80 white stuff, not the green SDR) in late 2020. The 10' x 6" sticks were $17 apiece back then, now they are $30!! At this point the spiral tubing from Blastgate Company isn't that much different.

All my long runs in a three car garage are 5" thinwall pvc, so it is avail. I bought three 20' sections and used almost all of it. Just finding a place that stocks and sells it is the problem. Luckily I live in an Ag community with lots of irrigation sources nearby. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Running ducting in my current shop , I went 6" sewer/drain PVC . I searched all the big and obvious sources , but ultimately struck gold at my local mom and pop hardware store , in a town of less than 1000 people .He didn't have it on the shelf , but offered to order everything I was looking for . I saved some $$ at Menards on the "wyes" , but everything else was ordered from my local store . Although I didn't get any , he could order 5" and 4" sewer/drain pipe and fittings . Local old fashioned service , I was thrilled .

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Markham View Post
    I am close to completing my new shop. Putting in the Harvey 700 dust extractor with 6” inlet. The local price for 6” sdr pipe and fittings just for main runs and drops, no blast gates hose or machine connections is 1150 at the best wholesale. Looking at Oneida the cost for 6” main and 5 drops and fittings spiral pipe and adjustable elbows not clamp type is about 1200 plus shipping. Will 6” drops with 5” machine connections work if I go all pvc. Machines are 20” planer, 8” jointer, k3 slider, 17 band saw with 2-4”, 5” connection edge sander and 4” router table. Thoughts. All 6 pvc or 6 and 5 metal

thanks
    gary

UGH! I have a 5hp DC I bought from a closing WW shop that is about 3rd on the list of shop projects. I had no idea the duct would be this much!

I think I would go with the 6" + 5" spiral pipe.

To do this right you need to start from the machine end of the equation. Start with the CFM required for each machine and your shop layout. The CFM will determine diameter needed. It will also determine the diameter of the main trunk lines. Finally you can calculate loss from static pressure from bends and fittings in your system to arrive at what collector is needed. I used Sandor Nagyszalanczy's book "Woodshop dust control" when I designed my system. He covers all this detail and far more in the book. I will also put in a plug for Spiral manufacturing.com ,they are located in Minneapolis MN. I purchased all my fittings from them.

the nordfab QD (quick duct) is something worth considering. . it makes ducting very easy and it also makes any changes quite easy to accomplish. I cant say enough of all the pieces, reducers, clamps that just work with ducting. At some point its how much your time is worth doing things over just having things clamp together. So consider that if you dont want to be getting every piece together. its certainly not the cheapest, but if you're willing to splurge on the Harvey G700 (which btw, is a great unit) - then the better and easier to use ducting is nothing.

The issue with PVC is the Elbows, Wye's and reducers are really costly. I priced out both and went with 26 gauge smoke pipe and it was 1/2 the cost of PVC from a HVAC supply house.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I ran 12” pvc in my shop with standard HVAC (snap lock style) fittings. They work great with the pvc although in some areas I have to pvc couplers.The 22ft long 12” pvc is currently $185 delivered to my door and the couplers are around $40 each. In my area you can get 6” and 4” adjustable elbows for under $2 each too.