Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Watching Christmas Movies?

Blog Entries

Anyone Watching Christmas Movies?

What Christmas Movies are you watching?

Most of ours are in our DVD library.

We have so far watched:

Miracle on 34th Street
    Die Hard 1 & 2 (they happened over Christmas holidays)
    We're No Angels (Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov 1955)
    While You were Sleeping

Plan to watch:
    Four or five versions of A Christmas Carol plus Scrooged (There are a couple versions from the 1930s we enjoy plus the Alister Sim version of course and also the Patrick Stewart version.)
    The Bishop's Wife
    The Santa Clause
    Bell, Book & Candle
    Sleepless in Seattle
    Trading Places

A few others

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My all time favorite is "A Christmas Story" about Ralphie and the Red Ryder BB gun......

Haven't watched any yet but plan on watching Joyeux Noel again this year. Based on a true event from the first world war. We have it on DVD bought from Amazon but I think also available on Apple TV. Also enjoy better known classics like White Christmas and Holiday Inn.

Don't forget 'Die Hard' and 'Lethal Weapon'...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It Happened on 5th Avenue
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Don't forget 'Die Hard' and 'Lethal Weapon'...
    Die Hard 1 & 2 were on my list. The others do not happen at Christmas time. My recollection is a bit foggy on Lethal Weapon and a Christmas connection. For some reason my wife doesn't like that series. I think it is because Mel Gibson reminds her of her first husband.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My recollection is a bit foggy on Lethal Weapon and a Christmas connection.
    Only the first one, but its "Christmas connection" is probably stronger than 'Die Hard'.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Only the first one, but its "Christmas connection" is probably stronger than 'Die Hard'.
    I liked the scene where Riggs busts the guys selling drugs using the Christmas tree lot as a front. Gary Busey was in his prime in the first Lethal Weapon.

Definitely A Christmas Carol, in several versions - same ones you mention. You can laugh, but I still enjoy the Mr. Magoo version. And Henry Winkler did a version that took place in New England. It wasn't "classic", but it was still well done.

And I watched "Ralphie" last night. Love that one!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I for one, am tired of the classics. We've seen Its a Wonderful Life so often we can say all the dialog with the sound off. Christmas Story was good for awhile, but last few years there's been a cable channel that shows it 24 hours a day. Burn out.
    < insert spurious quote here >

No one mentioned "It's A Wonderful Life"???????

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    No one mentioned "It's A Wonderful Life"???????

Bruce
    OMG! That was left off my list by accident. We usually watch it on Christmas eve or Christmas day. (that makes two different Christmas movies with Jimmy Stewart)

As to the classics, one of the fun things about 'A Christmas Carol' with Alister Sim is spotting the stage hand in the mirror. A classic blooper.

jtk

There's also 1938's A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen , but i do like Sim's version also.

probably
    Home Alone
    Elf

Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Never seen 'it's a wonderful life'. I'm probably the only one...
    Seen "Miracle on 34th' street" once, in school, think I was in 5th grade --
    I don't care for "Elf", and from what I've read, neither does Will Farrell so I don't feel so bad...
    Gremlins, ok but it got old....
    some say Edward Scissorhands is a Christmas movie, only seen it a couple times...
    Tried watching 'Nightmare Before Christmas" once. Once...
    I love 'A Christmas Story', but I need another 4 or 5 years without seeing it to enjoy it again...
    Watched 'Polar Express' when it came out, in the 'good' 3D... Not the best Xmas movie maybe, but having it snow all around you in the theater the whole time, I was impressed! And that was just for starters, probably the best 3D movie I've ever seen!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Soaper View Post
    There's also 1938's A Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen , but i do like Sim's version also.

probably
    Home Alone
    Elf
    If my memory is working the 1938 version has three or four members of the Lockhart family including the young June Lockhart who is known for many roles in TV series.

Our copy of the Alister Sim version includes a 1935 version with Seymour Hicks. It also includes the original in black & white (restored from original copies of film) and a colorized version. We always watch the B&W version. After the Alister Sim version our favorite is the 1938 version.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-05-2021 at 5:42 PM. Reason: replaced version with copy in one place