Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Watching Christmas Movies?

I’m not a big Christmas fan, so usually don’t watch Christmas movies. But as it gets closer I will watch Christmas Vacation and Die Hard.

We are big time Christmas film viewers. We have a fairly comprehensive list of films with our personal ratings and start watching Xmas movies the day after Thanksgiving partaking of one each night through Christmas Day. We believe that Christmas is a time for "Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All", movies like Die Hard do not meet this standard IMHO, there is more enough violence and stories of evil in the daily news.

Traditional Classics:
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Holiday Inn
    The Shop Around the Corner
    White Christmas
    A Christmas Carol
    A Christmas Story
    Its a Wonderful Life (viewed on Christmas Eve)

Newer Classics
    Love Actually
    The Holliday
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Scrooged
    Christmas Chronicles

Notables

Mixed Nuts
    Deck the Halls
    The Man who Invented Christmas
    A Charlie Brown Christmas
    The Family Stone
    A Boy Named Christmas
    Love the Coopers
    The Santa Clause
    Love the Coopers
    The Grinch
    Elf

and, of course, Hallmark Channel, etc. have their expansive libraries of "soft" stories for daytime background noise
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 12-06-2021 at 7:54 PM.

Muppet Christmas Carol, an American Christmas Carol with Henry Winkler, and the original, A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim.

oh and of course A Muppet Family Christmas

BAD SANTA (The original, not #2)

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    BAD SANTA (The original, not #2)

Erik
    Oh yea, have to find our copy. Not sure Candy likes that one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife is addicted to the Hallmark channels and yes, we are watching Christmas movies. I never realized how many there are.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Christmas Vacation here.
    im also fond of The Man Who Invented Christmas

Its a Wonderful life was played on TV ad nauseum for a special reason. The studio forgot to renew the copyright and the stations were getting away with showing it and paying no royalties. Then as luck would have it, the Script copyright was apparently renewed in a timely fashion, so all the TV stations got nailed for copyright infringement. It seems in retaliation, that most movie channels and tv stations now refuse to show it because of a grudge match against the copyright holder of the script.

Watching White Christmas is sort of a personal holiday tradition for me. I think it is supposed to be on AMC this week at some odd time like 3:45 am. Many good ones have already been listed. Another one I look for is Donovan's Reef. Christmas In Connecticut. When my children were young, we would make a party out of watching Shirley Temple as Heidi.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Don't forget 'Die Hard' and 'Lethal Weapon'...
    Die Hard on Christmas day is a tradition in my family.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Blog Entries
    I started watching The Man Who Invented Christmas the other night, but lost interest after a half hour or so. It seemed quite predictable. Is it worth picking it back up?

I love a good Christmas movie, but the genre is so littered with truly awful stuff. It's hard to find good new material to watch.

Blog Entries
    I love a good Christmas movie, but the genre is so littered with truly awful stuff. It's hard to find good new material to watch.
    Some of the cable channels have made their own Christmas rom-coms. They may have different locations but they all seem to be sharing a few fo the the same plots… Family crisis, things get desperate, a Christmas miracle, crisis resolved and a Merry Christmas. Two seemingly people living incompatible lives some how find they are drawn to each other, something comes between them, another Christmas miracle, they realize they belong together and live happily ever after.

Sadly these sappy, syrupy, low budget movies have knocked some regular programing off the air until after the holidays.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Daughter and wife liked "a boy called christmas" on netflix. Im more for Die Hard. Christmas vacation I can recite in my head start to finish, so ill skip this year I think