Thread: DC - Extend Connection Hose or Lift Collection Drum

DC - Extend Connection Hose or Lift Collection Drum

I just got my G0440 Grizzly DC up and running in the new shop. I am looking for input from those that have a similar unit. I mounted the barrel at the highest setting (on the Grizzly stand) to keep the inlet duct as high as possible. As it turns out, Grizzly only sends enough flex to connect the barrel cone to the drum at the lower setting on the stand. Right now I have the collection barrel blocked up so I could make the connection, and test the system. The barrel is blocked up about 12".

As I see it I have two choices:

- Buy some more flex hose and keep the drum on the ground
    - Figure out some way to raise and lower the drum to meet the flex at the existing height.

The easy solution would be to go with the first option. I was thinking it would be easier disconnect, and clear the flex hose and drum lid hanging down if I could lower the drum to the floor.

Has anyone come up with a creative solution for this?
    Regards,

Kris

Buy or make a rolling base for the drum.

The longer the drop from cone to barrel, the greater margin against clogging the filter in case the barrel overfills. A section of pipe will be less expensive than flex hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Buy or make a rolling base for the drum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    The longer the drop from cone to barrel, the greater margin against clogging the filter in case the barrel overfills. A section of pipe will be less expensive than flex hose.
    I agree with both of these. Get a drum dolly under the bin if you don't already have one and then source a piece of flex that's long enough to do the job at the cone height you prefer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I just bought a little hose from Grizzly for my new install of my old G0440.

New Shop (328).jpg

The idea of a platform with casters on it would work as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a 1.5 hp Grizzly and it is connected with the supplied 6” flex pipe. I think you want it on the ground. When you go to empty the barrel the trick is to keep the sawdust in the barrel and not sending it airborne while disconnecting/moving it for emptying. My unit has a ground wire attached to the barrel and frame of the collector. If I take the time to disconnect the ground emptying the barrel is a nice sanitary process. Well, as sanitary as it can be. If I do it in place that barrel is like Puff the Magic Dragon and a cloud of sawdust ensues. Having to drop the barrel to empty it would, I think, have you in the same dusty boat. I’d look for the longer flex.

OK. Thanks all. The collector drum has casters already, so I will just get a longer section of hose. I was concerned about the drum lid clearing the drum when I roll it out but there is probably enough "spring" in the hose to retract the lid up to gain clearance?

I was probably over-thinking this (as usual).
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    There is enough spring in the hose but it can still fight you a bit. On my recent re-install I made the hose short enough so that it stretched out a bit when the lid was fastened down on the drum. Not a lot, but a bit. My first install I made the hose a little long thinking that pressing the lid down was not a bad idea. I cursed it every time I had to fight the drum out from under the lid that the hose was pressing down. Just a tip from someone who has run a G0440 since 2008.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

On my todo sometime list is to add 3 or 4 springs to pull the lid up a couple of inches when the retainer is opened so the drum can be rolled out without catching on the bin full sensor, etc.

Agree with the others that on the ground or dolly is where you want it. Drum gets pretty heavy when full and you don't want to have to wrestle with it.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks again all. Ordered 2' of flex.
    Regards,

Kris

Maybe too late... but Grizzly makes a drum extender.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...0-g0443/t25506
    Now that's funny right there... I don't care who you are...
    (Larry the Cable Guy)

Any tool can be the right tool
    (Red Green)

Thanks Gary. I just added the hose. I looked at the extension but didn't want to fight the extra weight of a full bag.

I used to live in Grand Junction - many years ago.
    Regards,

Kris