Thread: Need Help with MimiMax 16 Switch

Need Help with MimiMax 16 Switch

Hello,
    My MM16 switch is not working properly... often when I push it in to start the saw nothing happens. I took off the "bubble cover" and discovered a Moeller PKZM01-25 switch with three components (hopefully shown in the photo below). I think this is the switch that was used before the AEG switch. I need to press the red stop button several times before the white button resets and lets the saw start up. I am reasonably tech savvy and would like to try to replace the part(s) myself...does anyone know of a published procedure (or video??) that covers this? Just not sure what I'd be getting into...
    Thanks,
    Izzy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I doubt there’s any serviceable parts Izzy. My Acm bandsaws has something similar with built in over load or manual over load.
    I was given advice from a tech that works on my type saw and yours. This might sound crazy but he told to remove the switch turn it upside down and tap on it with screw driver. Something in the switch gets some carbon built up on contacts?
    So it’s not broken in a regular way just maybe dirty
    I tried it worked for me in fact I have switch installed upside down. Its been working fine years.
    Heres what mine looks like.
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 12-03-2021 at 3:52 PM.
    Aj

That is not a switch. It is a switch controlling a overload contactor. My guess is dust on the stop switch contacts. Either the manual switch or inside the relay contacts.
    Bill D

That is the switch (with built-in overload protection). There is no other means to turn that bandsaw on or off. Unlike other Italian machines, where you have a master on/off switch, then a contactor switch, you only get the all-in-one on their bandsaws.

To the OP, try these guys if Parts Pronto can't help: https://controlparts.com/

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I bought an AEG unit on Ebay when the switch/overload relay died on my MiniMax J/P. Find one with the correct amperage range and voltage and as long as you can make it fit in the panel you're good.

John

I recently purchased a 1994 era minimax sc3 with aeg switch. The overload switch was tripped thus making it inoperable. I was able to disassemble and reset it. Works fine now. Worth a shot over spending a wad of cash for a new one?

You can google a simple 240v 3 phase 20amp toggle on/off switch that will get the job done turning the machine on and off. It looks like a standard light switch from the outside. No fancy overloads or any of the protection that you get from a magnetic style switch. But it will get you going for about $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    You can google a simple 240v 3 phase 20amp toggle on/off switch that will get the job done turning the machine on and off. It looks like a standard light switch from the outside. No fancy overloads or any of the protection that you get from a magnetic style switch. But it will get you going for about $35.
    It's not a three phase machine.

The contactor/switch is also integrated with a bunch of microswitches and has an e-stop. It's best to replace with identical or equivalent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...