Thread: What to do with this space

What to do with this space

This is a question I have on various pieces. My style of construction is a rigid M&T frame with the panel filled with BB plywood glued into a dado. The plywood looks kinda plain and I'd like to do better while staying with the same basic construction.

I have considered painting the panel and may do that in this case, but it doesn't add much

Applying cloth to the panel would open a lot of interesting looks. Tricky to get it into the dado

It's a natural picture frame for art if I had any talent

Suggestions?

Chopping Mortices h.jpg

The ply panel may look less plain if you dropped a couple mid stiles in the panel and broke the large panel into 3 smaller panels? Or maybe run a plain sliced ply panel that looks more like boards than rotary?

P.S.... beautiful shop space.

Blog Entries
    If I understand correctly that you will fill the entire rectangle, floating panels with complimentary characteristics can do a lot for a blank space.

Media Cabinet (36).jpgGnG Low CoD (80).jpgNiki CT Dresser (156).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How about some highly figured veneered panels, maybe in a 2 over 1 pattern or something like that to break up the space?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Look at some Chinese lattice work.

Chinese lattice could really work.