Thread: Remove Debris from Lathe Spindle Morse Taper?

Remove Debris from Lathe Spindle Morse Taper?

Years ago I thought the suggestion to clear debris and crud from a lathe headstock spindle morse taper was a good idea, to minimize galling on the insert and the spindle. I purchased a plastic "Taper Mate" and use it regularly. I wanted to buy another for a friend, but Packard Tool said it had been discontinued for some time. So I'm asking what can be used in similar fashion to remove (ream) any debris from a #2 morse taper?

I use a 20 gauge brass bore brush.

I purchased a bright green #2 Morse taper plastic cleaner on Ebay I think...? And - you can find the the one made of steel that are fine to use as long as you are being gentle. Just don't pound them into the your head or tail stock. Use gentle hand pressure to turn them. I use them when the green plastic on does not get all of the crud out.

I bought a rubber bristle bottle brush (thick rubber scrubbing tentricles). I cut most of the tentricles off until it fit snugly in the head/tail stock. Ugly but works great. Cost $1. Gets the crude off the walls nicely. I also have a 12 gauge shotgun cleaning brush that I use. I start with compressed air. Then the shotgun brush. Then a twist or two with the rubber brush. I have to clean off the rubber brush occasionally with orange spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    I use a 20 gauge brass bore brush.
    12 gauge brush here. Turned a tee handle for it.

I found one of these at the dollar store and cut the bristle down.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chicco-Si...Teal/579571306

I did a video on this a while back. You can even turn a taper cleaner.
    God is great and life is good!

Blog Entries
    That Taper Mate looks like an ideal project for a 3D printer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    That Taper Mate looks like an ideal project for a 3D printer.
    I posted a link (elsewhere) to a model file for one I found on Thingiverse. I printed it with a flexible filament and it worked well but was a bit too short for wood lathes. I haven’t had the time to modify it. I can find the link and photos if wants to modify it.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I posted a link (elsewhere) to a model file for one I found on Thingiverse. I printed it with a flexible filament and it worked well but was a bit too short for wood lathes. I haven’t had the time to modify it. I can find the link and photos if wants to modify it.
    The model on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3329007
    I printed it to test. It might not look like it from the photo but the taper is perfect.
    It prints with a nice threaded socket on the end to fasten a handle.

However, comparing it with the tapermate and carefully measuring the lengths of the 2MT attachments AND the depth of the taper inside the spindle the model as listed is too short for my wood lathes.

tapermate_&_3Dmodel_2.jpg

tapermate_&_3Dmodel.jpg

I don't think it would be a big effort to lengthen the model even with a simple slicer program like the Prusa Slicer: attach a copy to the end, scale to fit, then cut it to length and print.

JKJ