Thread: Escape to the Country

Escape to the Country

Been watching this show recently. Brits go shopping for country houses. Exposed ceiling beams painted black are in style, the more irregular the better. What I'm wondering is 'where do they get all that terrible lumber'? In the US we would have to cut it ourselves and no building inspector would approve it in any structural application.

My suspicion is that those beams are either purely decorative or hand-hewn oak from (or still in) centuries-old cottages. In the second case, they're probably stronger than the stuff we consider normal structural material.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Home depot

Blog Entries
    Just watched a shortened episode.

It wouldn't surprise me to find lumber is very different in Great Britton than here in the U.S.

The codes, if any, were likely different when these buildings were built.

Even here there are exceptions allowed to the codes for people building log cabins and such.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)