Thread: Miracle of the Sawdust

Miracle of the Sawdust

Miracle of the Sawdust

It was late November in 1774 and residents in Springfield, Massachusetts were gearing up for another bitter winter. Ted Fieldston was considered the most talented woodworker in the community. He always saved the sawdust from his projects and would spread it around his property in early spring to absorb the water from the melting snow. On a cold December day a howling wind knocked over the barrel where Ted stored his sawdust and a cyclone of puff quickly disappeared . As luck would have it a mild winter followed and the skilled craftsman didn’t have a need take care of the usual muddy conditions. From that time onward, every first Sunday in December, hoping to repeat the ”Miracle of the Sawdust,” Ted and his friends would take handful of wooden shavings, throw it into the wind, and follow up chugging a mug of their favorite whiskey. While there is no historical evidence that these actions brought comfortable winters, Ted and his neighbors always enjoyed an opportunity to down some spirits.

So, find some lucky sawdust and on December 5, 2022, participate in Ted Fieldston’s time honored tradition by throwing it into the wind. Hopefully good fortune will come to to you and your friends. Of course, be sure to prepare your favorite cocktail!

Thanks Ed. I'll get a couple of neighbors to supply the beverage and I'll supply the sawdust. Cheers.

Sounds like a good idea!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If I empty my dust collector during a Santa Ana wind event, it's gonna take a lot more than a couple of beers to square it with my neighbors.

Just sayin'.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    So, find some lucky sawdust and on December 5, 2022
    Why are we waiting until next year?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Why are we waiting until next year?
    I can't speak for anyone else -but - I'm still a bit under the influence from Thanksgiving.....& before any of you judge me - - you try to deal with my wife's side of the family sober.. .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Agree with Jim, why wait till next year.
    Tomorrow sounds like a good day to have sip of my favorite whiskey... or two.... cheers...

It's worth a ​shot!