Thread: Molding profile ID

Molding profile ID

Does anyone recognize this profile or have hints at how to replicate it?
    The total length is 1-3/4”. The beads have a 1/8” radius and the cove has a 1/4” radius.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This will show you. LINK.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Yes - I have the book and a set of hollow and rounds but was looking for router solution first

I've cut the wide cove on a tablesaw. Then router the beads. Just have to think thru the series of operations and plan accordingly.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-02-2021 at 6:53 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I copy moldings by trimming off a 1/2" section to get a clean face, scan it on a flat bead scanner and make a pdf. Then I import it into AutoCad, zoom in close, and trace the line between paint and wood. I draw with that line, and I can either draw the cutter and order it, or send the profile to a molding shop.

Lacking drawing software, at least scanning a fresh face of the molding is a good start to making a plan or ordering molding.

Remove as much as possible with passes over the tablesaw, and finish with your hollows, and rounds. The more passes you make on the tablesaw, the faster it goes at the end.

You can even finish with sanding blocks, if no hollows and rounds.

Blog Entries
    I don't know where to get a cutter, but the saw that made the cut is either dull or poorly aligned.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

OP, not sure if you have access to a true shaper but the "pro" solution would simply have someplace like W Moore Profiles grind you some insert knives to match that profile. Possibly not within your scope but wanted to float that out there. Good luck with it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beach View Post
    Does anyone recognize this profile or have hints at how to replicate it?
    The total length is 1-3/4”. The beads have a 1/8” radius and the cove has a 1/4” radius.
    If you need a short length, Frederick and Tom have given you the answer. If you need a quantity you can supply a clean drawing to a profile grinding shop and make your own with a shaper as Erik suggested, or approach local millwork shops to see how closely they can match it from their existing knife collection (or they can have custom knives ground). With the second option there will be a setup fee and probably a minimum quantity.

Blog Entries
    If you are in the Kansas City area, Schutte Lumber has a huge library of molding cutters. Over the years, owners of old homes have brought in samples of molding and Schutte would custom grind the cutters. They still do custom work but for the KC area they don’t have to because they did it for someone else.

my point here is that there may be a similar place where you live.

some years ago, a kid set Schutte on fire and destroyed most of it. All us woodworkers just wanted to know if the cutters were ok. They survived. Turned out that the kid just wanted to watch the place burn.