Thread: Help with a very temporary shower stall fix

Help with a very temporary shower stall fix

I need to keep a damaged shower usable until December 20. After that, the building will be unoccupied until January 9, so I can do something better then. For now, I need to focus on what I can do very quickly at low cost.

IMG_3794a.jpg IMG_3779a.jpg IMG_3784a.jpg

I probably don't need to tell you that the drywall at the left end of the tub, where the tile is falling off, is anything but dry. Nor need I mention that the window stool isn't in great shape either.

I am planning to cover the walls with 6 mil plastic from near the ceiling down to the tub rim, across the left end and the back (window) side of the enclosure. I’ll use furring strips screwed to the studs to keep the plastic in place.

I’d appreciate comments and suggestions on this plan. Remember, something very fast and low cost, but good enough until December 20.

Background:

I volunteered to serve as a handyman for Out of the Cold, a local homeless shelter. They are in the process of purchasing a building. It needs and will get significant rehab, but probably not until next summer. The rehab will include new, proper bathrooms in a different area of the building.
    Meanwhile, this is their one and only shower.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two thoughts, one, is there harmful black mold on the wall? If so, maybe give it a good dousing of bleach or something to minimize its affect. Maybe not required as you are covering it but worth a thought. Second, I'd run the six mil poly down over the edge of the tub in addition to attaching it with the furring strips. If appearance is an issue you could use a shower curtain or two hung against the wall again over the edge of the tub.
    Also, good for you volunteering to use your skills to help those in need.

Just a couple of ideas to possibly spur some additional ideas.

1) Spray on, roll on rubber coumpound?
    2) Fortified morter or grout spread over the bare spot.
    3) Ridgid plastic shower surround sheet or comparable with silicone or other sealant and a couple of screws at the top to hold it until it dries.
    4) Several coats of latex paint.
    5) Silicone sealant between the wall and a painted piece of plywood.
    6) Spray on contact cement and the apove mentioned shower curtain or other piece of flexible plastic sheet.
    7) flexible plastic sheet (or ridgid) with gaffers tape around the edged holding it on as well as some construction adhesive.
    8) Foil backed styrofoam sheet with the foil facing out.

I am thinking from the ceiling down to the bathtub rim in the above suggestions.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 12-02-2021 at 1:38 AM.

How about just hanging shower curtains along those walls ala a claw foot tub?

The standard temp fix is just stick up an FRP (fibreglass reinforced panel) over it, FRP system corners, and done for a while. Obviously there are bigger issues, but the FRP will buy some time.

How about roofing ice block membrane? it's sticky stuff. Perhaps you can scarf some scraps from a local roofer... ZIP system tape might also be a reasonable temporary fix.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

it won't look pretty but coat the entire tile with a few coats of Red Guard from Home Depot. It's a water proof membrane for that paints on, used under showers. Hopefully it holds for a few weeks until it can be redone correctly.

2nd idea is put on a kerdi memberane.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    That's what I'd do for a low cost temporary fix.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    The standard temp fix is just stick up an FRP (fibreglass reinforced panel) over it, FRP system corners, and done for a while. Obviously there are bigger issues, but the FRP will buy some time.
    This was my solution. 3 sheets of material, a few tubes of silicone/adhesive and a few tubes of caulk and you have a relatively sound temporary wall that is at least fairly cleanly. By far the best solution for your time and money. May be too nice if you do a decent job and you'll forego your repair window.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's what I'd do for a low cost temporary fix.

Mike
    + another 1.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

For 2-1/2 weeks??

Visqueen and duct tape. Geez...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Clear plexiglass and call it informational. Teaching about home construction and possible jobs in the industry.
    Bill D

Thanks for all of the ideas!

I used 6 mil plastic sheeting — which I had on hand — from just below the ceiling and extending down into the tub.. At the top, I wrapped it around scrap 1 x 3, screwed to the joists.

During my 12/20 – 1/9 window, I think I will remove the tile, replace the unsound, and probably moldy, drywall underneath, and put up FRP. I’ll add a water-proof curtain to the window. That should be okay until the major rehab work is done next summer. If I take a little time to do a good job, it may even be a “permanent” solution. Once the new bathrooms are in, this one should get only occasional use.

I liked the idea of the shower curtains as used in claw-foot tubs, but decided it might not be robust enough to serve as a 6-month or longer solution given the shelter’s clients. And too expensive for a 2 ˝ week solution.

Side note: Several suggestions reminded me that, since we replaced our 16-year-old, 210,000-mile Honda Odyssey, I no longer have a vehicle that can haul 4 x 8 sheet goods. That causes delays. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Clear plexiglass and call it informational. Teaching about home construction and possible jobs in the industry.
    Bill D
    Ha!

Might be pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Visqueen and duct tape.
    Pretty much what I did. Only we don't call it Visqueen around here. ;-)