Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker Tools/jigs

Woodpecker Tools/jigs

I've had some woodpecker items, such as corner clamps, drill press table, and some rules. Well in the process of upgrading to there router table I grabbed their coping sled, and it just turned from 'I hate doing this task' into 'wow that was easy and fun' Plus I got a much safer, better cut and was completed in 1/2 the time for the same task than on my old DIY coping sled I had been using.

I know some people look at their prices and ask 'why'. I used to think that also, however their stuff just works. It's well engineered, well thought out and has really high quality. I am not saying 'go buy woodpecker' over your diy items or preferred brands. I am just tossing out a positive review of my recent findings with their tools.

20211201_181915.jpg
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I also have a WP router table, all tricked out. I bought the entire "tricked out" package at the Tampa wood show a few years ago, at a vey good price compared to buying online at normal pricing. I never used my WP coping sled, in fact sold it on this forum still in the box. Instead I use the Infinity coping sled. The WP sled is a very nice sled I just prefer the Infinity.

One thing I did was to modify the WP phenolic router table top so it would fit between the rails on my PM2000 table saw where the wood and laminate table extension would normally be. Also reinforced the bottom side of the phenolic top so it could not sag over time. I now have a really nice router table that does not take up any floor space in my tiny shop.

I have many Woodpecker tools including the complete router table package with the micro adjust.

Most of the others are squares, probably the ones that get the least use are the story sticks.

I always enjoy getting their email for new products, but most of the time, although the tool is really neat, they are just too expensive for the limited use they would get in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I have many Woodpecker tools including the complete router table package with the micro adjust.

Most of the others are squares, probably the ones that get the least use are the story sticks.

I always enjoy getting their email for new products, but most of the time, although the tool is really neat, they are just too expensive for the limited use they would get in my shop.
    I also have the micro adjust. I used it for the first time today and what a pleasure to spend seconds to find tune the cut than trying to tap the fence into position and lock it down before it moves.

I don't have the story sticks. I am sure they are useful but not enough need, similar to some of the other really cool tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I know some people look at their prices and ask 'why'. I used to think that also, however their stuff just works. It's well engineered, well thought out and has really high quality. I am not saying 'go buy woodpecker' over your diy items or preferred brands. I am just tossing out a positive review of my recent findings with their tools.
    Thanks for posting this. They ARE expensive but I found this a good reminder to myself about why.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I won a Paolini ruler from Carbide Processors a few years ago when Woodpeckers offered them as a one time tool.
    I was impressed with both the quality of the Paolini - and with the staff at Carbide Processors.

When I needed a new router after my Freud croaked off, I needed a new router plate also. I bit the bullet and got the Woodpecker aluminum plate, the rings for it and the template to enlarge the hole in my Rockler #1 table

I agree - Woodpeckers makes good stuff. Usually priced well beyond me - but - good stuff.

It's also weird that, Woodpeckers is about a 45 min drive from my house, but, I can get it cheaper & usually faster - if I order it from Carbide Processors - 2435 miles away!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    +1 on Woodpecker products and the folks at Carbide Processors. Thanks for posting the review. I have the original PRLs and they have worked flawlessly for many years. I also have their old phenolic ply drill press table and a smattering of other tools. There are definitely some things that come out of their design efforts that make me wonder but, this is true of many makers. Something I find essential may ge incidental to someone else and their pride and joy doesn't catch my eye at all. Just one of the struggles (and rewards) of designing and selling.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I won a Paolini ruler from Carbide Processors a few years ago when Woodpeckers offered them as a one time tool.
    I was impressed with both the quality of the Paolini - and with the staff at Carbide Processors.

When I needed a new router after my Freud croaked off, I needed a new router plate also. I bit the bullet and got the Woodpecker aluminum plate, the rings for it and the template to enlarge the hole in my Rockler #1 table

I agree - Woodpeckers makes good stuff. Usually priced well beyond me - but - good stuff.

It's also weird that, Woodpeckers is about a 45 min drive from my house, but, I can get it cheaper & usually faster - if I order it from Carbide Processors - 2435 miles away!
    Carbide Processors does have some good posted prices on Woodpecker tools, but it all says 10-12 week wait and won't let me add anything to my cart. So that is a bummer.

Right now Woodpeckers is feeling the pinch like everyone else.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Right now Woodpeckers is feeling the pinch like everyone else.
    Yup - but looks like all woodpecker items (pages and pages of it) are out of stock on Carbide Processors web site. Maybe they stopped carrying or woodpecker isn't shipping to them. I just ordered from woodpeckers and got my stuff in 2 days, same items carbide Processors is out of stock. It's fine, just ended up paying a bit more for it than the posted prices on CP's web page.

The thing about woodpeckers is that they are both well designed tools and a piece of art. There are some I use all the time and others that get used a couple times a year, if that. Some of the lesser used I bought because they were just beautifully designed and executed. When I depart this existence, I suspect my heirs will go for them first.

Woodpeckers also supports their tools completely in my experience. I have a very expensive MFT Square that was a One-Time Tool a few years ago. It's the best. When I set my Track for a square cut with this square it's perfect and it's something I always check before making final cuts for any project. Mine fell off the table onto a concrete floor in my shop about 2 years ago. I sent it to Woodpeckers, they returned it to new condition and its "perfect squareness" again and covered it under their lifetime warranty. They wouldn't have had to do that since it was obvious it was my fault.

+1 for woodpecker. I bought the slab flattening mill back in July and got it in half the lead time they quoted me. Well.. I’m ashamed to say i just got around to making the table for the mill today, but I’m glad i bought it when i did because of all of the OOS they have currently. I unpackaged everything and laid it all out tonight and i am impressed with the quality and the packaging of it all. Another selling point was their warranty. Plus, the only thing i had to make was the table. The rest is easy and i don’t have to have any guess work to make a mill work. Just put it together.

You can get it even faster if you drive over and pick it up! I have done so with my router table top and fence, saved way more on shipping than the cost of the gas and tolls.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Dobson View Post
    +1 for woodpecker. I bought the slab flattening mill back in July and got it in half the lead time they quoted me. Well.. I’m ashamed to say i just got around to making the table for the mill today, but I’m glad i bought it when i did because of all of the OOS they have currently. I unpackaged everything and laid it all out tonight and i am impressed with the quality and the packaging of it all. Another selling point was their warranty. Plus, the only thing i had to make was the table. The rest is easy and i don’t have to have any guess work to make a mill work. Just put it together.
    I'd love to get the mill, but the amount of use I will get out of it won't justify the cost.