Thread: Woodrat

Woodrat

So, I wasn't looking for or even really knew much about the WoodRat joinery system until today. My son alerted me to one on Facebook within 20 minutes of home, so I investigated them a bit and went and bought it. I'm still not 100% sure I need one, but for $70.00 I figured buy first and ask questions later. The only thing that seems to be missing are the star knobs, which I imagine can be easily replaced.

Did I do good or do I have a "novelty" with little practical value?

I used to work with a guy who had used one. As I recall he said it was useful for variable spaced dovetails. I guess you will find out how it works for you, but the price sounds right.

Was expecting a very different sort of post when I clicked.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I hadnt heard of that one. Is the version you bought or an older type? LINK It looks interesting and would be worth $70 to me just to play around with it. (The latest version (WR900) is over $1000 US.)

I think you did good.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred, It is an older version from before they had the Aluminum rails. Other than that, it is the same. I figure if I figure out how to use it and like it I'll upgrade them either by purchasing them or milling up my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Was expecting a very different sort of post when I clicked.

Erik
    LOL. When I was an apprentice in a woodshop, my mentor would refer to me often as a wood rat, as I could often be found in the “way back” of the shop where all the nice wood storage was when there wasn’t other work to be done.
    Still waters run deep.

Lisa,
    I've had one for about 15 years. Prior to CNC, it was the next best thing - you just manually pulled router or hand-crank the cable system to move the part past the spinning bit. Some mortising, certainly tenoning and even dovetails. Though I've acquired more automated machinery over the years, including the cnc to produce all the above, I keep it, as it sits on the wall, out of the way and once in a while, it just happens to be the perfect solution. I'm sure it was close to $1k new, so at that price, you did the right thing. (and at $70 street value, no reason to pull it off the wall now!)

Martin Godfrey is the English gentleman who invented it. I still have original manual. Does a very convincing job of a hand-cut looking dovetail, as he had a whole series of router bits with single-digit angles, which are very narrow as well. You could have pins at or under 1/4" at the base, again, for that hand cut look, but extra care in use, as the bits were very delicate at that thin neck.

Have fun - it is a very cool "bit of kit" as the English say!

jeff

Very cool! I would pay $70 to play around with one and check it out. When deals like that come along you have to go with your gut and jump on them if it seems right to you.

I have one (aluminum rails). I use it a lot

Add digital readouts (both x and y)

My preferred method for:
    Tenons
    Dovetail pins

Especially compound angles like chairs

Some things work better on the router table. Some things work better on the woodrat. With digital readout you can repeat cuts perfectly on as many pieces as you like.

IMG_4146.jpgIMG_4147.jpgIMG_4148.jpgIMG_4149.jpg
    Some pics on adding the DRO per your request, have fun!!

Carl,
    Thank you. That appears easy enough to accomplish. As always, a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thank you for your offer, if I run into any questions.