Thread: Great book suggestion

Great book suggestion

Not sure how deep its made it here but anyone interested in a life's experience in door building and small shop architectural work may be interested in this book. Its a real rarity for someone with this much experience to be willing, or have the time, to start putting a lifetime of experience in print.

https://www.acornwoodworks.com/store

20211201_143433.jpg

Mark have you put hands on or actually read this book ? Looks like a great resource, I think I will "take the plunge " and buy it.

Wow! I’d read that David was writing a book, but didn’t know when to expect it. That’s exciting! Going to place an order now. Should be a treat.

Thanks for sharing.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Mark have you put hands on or actually read this book ? Looks like a great resource, I think I will "take the plunge " and buy it.
    The photo in the post is my copy in-hand

Thanks for the heads up on this book, Mark. I ordered it too. Now I think we should all get back to work...

David Sochar? He posts here occasionally. He did that drop dead gorgeous "woven door" and other items. Here's one of his posts: LINK

That man's really talented, and if he's teaching techniques, I'm all ears. I just ordered a copy - I'm certain it will be well worth $55 in the knowledge he provides.

Thanks for the tip Mark!
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-01-2021 at 6:56 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

this is definitely on my list - thanks for the heads up.

LOL - ordered one early today as well, based on his announcement on another forum. Hot item for sure, and good for him - hope it's all I think it will be!

jeff

I've been paging through my copy and enjoying it. Plenty of good material not to be found elsewhere and some innovative techniques. The closest I have to it in book form is Ellis' Modern Practical Joinery from over a century ago. The section on grooving arched rails for louvers alone is worth the price of the whole book, not that I am ever likely to use it.

One of the things that strikes me is the economy of means used to build some very sophisticated millwork. It would appear that David used to work in a larger and better equipped shop than the home based one he is in now, but it is not holding him back. An 8" jointer, two basic shapers, a 3hp Unisaw, 14" bandsaw, several mortisers and a Powermatic tenoner for roughing out tenons- no electronics other than dro's, no sliding table saw or shaper, no wide belt sander, no CAD program- a very economical kit. I bet he has as much invested in tooling as in all his machinery. It's a good reminder to all of us searching for high tech solutions to shop challenges that the most important equipment is between our ears.

Thanks to David for sharing his experience and approach to the trade, and making the effort to get it on paper. I have seen a fair bit of this material in his posts on Woodweb and here in the past, but it is great to have it all bound between covers on the shelf. And thanks to all of the other master builders and aspirants who share theirs. For all the drawbacks of digital existence it is far easier now to learn about woodworking through the internet than it was 40 years ago, when the best I could hope for was to find a job and steal all I could working alongside someone like David Sochar.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-13-2021 at 8:56 AM.

Wasn't there a French woodworker who wrote a book call Adventures in Finishing?
    Bill D.

Well, my copy arrived and it's definitely worth the $55. Several techniques I can use, even as just a hobbyist.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Wasn't there a French woodworker who wrote a book call Adventures in Finishing?
    Bill D.
    George Frank? https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/advent...dition=3350642

Thanks Mark.