Thread: Through dovetail jigs: is the new Leigh TD330 better than the old Keller Journeyman?

Through dovetail jigs: is the new Leigh TD330 better than the old Keller Journeyman?

I am considering a through-dovetail jig and noticed the Leigh looks just like the Keller but has the snails shell adjustment on the wood block and a variable bushing rather than the bearing guided bits. My guess is the bearing vs. bushing is a wash. But does anyone have an opinion on which is more fool-resistant?

Unlike you, I'd expect that the bearing-guided Keller is more precise. The bushing is connected to the router base, which may have some offset from the centerline of the router bit. I don't see it on this Leigh jig, but there have been bushing-based router jigs (maybe from Leigh?) which had adjustable bushings, to try to reduce this offset.

Jamie, for what it’s worth, the Leigh jig has one of the adjustable bushings that “should” eliminate the offset issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perez View Post
    Jamie, for what it’s worth, the Leigh jig has one of the adjustable bushings that “should” eliminate the offset issue.
    That's good. Every plunge router I've ever owned has had some offset. But then the existence of the adjustment still argues for the bearing-guided approach -- there's less to go wrong or get out of adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    That's good. Every plunge router I've ever owned has had some offset. But then the existence of the adjustment still argues for the bearing-guided approach -- there's less to go wrong or get out of adjustment.
    Good point!