Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spaying Heavy Paint with a 3-Stage HVLP ?

I'm curious why they say not to spray it with airless. I would think the airless rigs that spray drywall surfacer would be ideal for this. They have ceramic pumps, so don't wear as fast as the metal ones with all the solids in the surfacer. It's like spraying drywall compound on the wall, with good control.

edited to add: I looked for a youtube video. This is the first one I found. Skip to 12 minutes to see someone spraying it, and it will skip over all the talk.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dom3Rhr5h_Q

It's a spray on level 5 finish.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-06-2021 at 6:02 PM.

Hey, Tom.

Yeah I was puzzled by the "no airless sprayer" thing as well. Luckily, I found a really experienced tech guy today and got lots of clarifications & new info.
    First, understand that while Multispec (and the similar Hawke Systems product) is heavy latex, it has certain special requirement, due to the fact that you don't want to damage / alter the integrity of those specs.

So for anyone reading this and is curious, here's what I now believe to be the real poop:
    ================================================== ======================

Airless sprayers are no good because the extra pressure shreds the Multispec particles.

Standard turbine-fed siphon guns are also no good, because the extreme venturi blowing across the top shreds particles.
    For this same reason, a bleeder gun is NOT recommended! (even though they are indeed better for standard latex) With Multispec, as I guessed earlier, you actually want to minimize atomization.

## Luckily: You CAN use a siphon gun, if you add an HVCLP adapter, since that basically turns your 1 qt pot into a pressure system.
    ( A gravity gun, with a similar pressure-feed air tube, is even better. Graco makes one, calling their system the "Artisan Valve Accessory". The 3M PPS system also offers a pressure-fed 1 qt cup, but that system is limited to a 2.0mm maximum nozzle & cap, so while that’s great for Latex, it’s not ideal for Multispec.)

## When using an HVCLP adapter with your turbine system gun, it is then recommended to turn down the guns air flow valve to about halfway, or even less. Combined with a very larger nozzle and air cap, this will give high flow with minimum atomization. ## Also: Make sure your gun was designed to also work with pressure-fed systems, as some turbine guns are not. (I think the air cap design is what matters.)
    ------------------------------

FAN PATTERN: KEEP IT AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE !
    Narrow is BAD as it breaks up the particles, because that concentrates the air.

AIR CAP & NOZZLE SIZE:
    Mike recommends the Capspray #6 Projector set. For other guns, that's a 2.4mm setup. Again, you want maximum flow, and minimum atomization.

PSI needed: Mike @ Multispec says that a 4-stage turbine, combines with an HVCLP adapter, is PLENTY for this stuff and for heavy latex. He personally uses a Capspray 95, with such an adapter, and says it’s fantastic for both heavy latex and Multispec.
    (Hawke Systems say you can even get by with a good 3-stage, if everything else is set up perfectly.)
    ———————————————————————

THINNING WITH WATER:
    The official Multispec docs say: “NO MORE THAN 10%”
    But Mike said:
    1-2 oz per quart. 3 oz absolute maximum. (Which is just less than 10%)

Do NOT use Floetrol ! - Floetrol attacks the particles.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 12-07-2021 at 7:51 PM.