Thread: Book recommendations for chair design and construction

Book recommendations for chair design and construction

Looking for recommendations for fundamental and quality books on chair design (and construction.) and/or other resources concerning both traditional and modern chair design.

I have an upcoming commission for a dining table and the clients added in dining chairs to match and wanting to educate myself as much as reasonably possible before the sketching process as I haven’t built much in the way of traditional dining chairs prior to this. I’m really looking forward to the opportunity and experience of the table with matching chairs and want to make a valiant attempt at both a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing chair design.

I have various furniture making centered books as that’s typically what I do, but no books that are specific to chairs and what makes chairs special and unique in design and function.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Still waters run deep.

Ive only found a rudimentary batch of chair building books (all of which you've likely found in a basic google search). Seems at least to me its a trial by fire situation.

Jeff Miller Chairmaking & Design ​Taunton Press

One thing to look for is the front to back dimensions. I know that some of the modern Windsors are inches short of the old chairs.
    Yes ,people don’t complain about it ,that’s because many have only owned modern chairs. The deeper seats are are a great refinement in
    the increasingly number of new chairs.

Yeah, I’ve done some google searches but trying to separate the wheat from the chaff by asking you fine folks.

Thanks Kevin; just ordered a copy of Jeff’s book. I’ve always liked his designs so hopefully that will be a good resource.
    Still waters run deep.

Chairmaker’s Notebook by Peter Galbert.

In addition to fine reading material, I suggest you check in with Brian Holcomb ... he does exquisite chairs and can set you in a good direction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...