Thread: Tapping holes in phenolic sheet

Tapping holes in phenolic sheet

I mis-drilled some tap holes in phenolic sheet and now I need to fill those holes and drill and tap new ones just beside the old ones. I was thinking of using epoxy to fill, but that would mean the new tap threads would partially be in the epoxy. Any ideas or suggestions? I should add this isn't a high stress/load application.

-Tom
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Could you fill with JB Weld?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Epoxy bonds well to phenolic, and a filled epoxy, taps and machines well. But I've tapped other epoxies as well, so I think your solution will work fine.

I'd make a plug of phenolic and epoxy that in the hole instead of just filling it with epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Could you fill with JB Weld?

Erik
    Possibly. It's not a large hole (10-24 tap) so not sure about how well the JB Weld would "flow" into hole.

Perhaps tap the current hole, then fill and re-drill. That provides a shoulder for the glue to bite into.

Is this solid phenolic sheet or phenolic covered plywood? That can make a difference here relative to the best way forward.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've tapped into holes filled with epoxy and didn't have an issue. It has to be well-cured.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Is this solid phenolic sheet or phenolic covered plywood? That can make a difference here relative to the best way forward.
    Jim — It’s solid phenolic … also, I don’t have spare phenolic or the right sized plug cutter … which is why I was leaning toward epoxy or some other type of fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'd make a plug of phenolic and epoxy that in the hole instead of just filling it with epoxy.
    This is the most rock solid solution without a doubt even if the holes are on the small side. At least your repair will only have an epoxy glue line as opposed to solid epoxy that could just fracture out of the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jim — It’s solid phenolic … also, I don’t have spare phenolic or the right sized plug cutter … which is why I was leaning toward epoxy or some other type of fill.
    Sounds like a resin fill is your best, most immediately available, bet then. Let it cure fully with a generous amount of time and make sure things are well supported when you do the redrill so there's no wandering.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    This is the most rock solid solution without a doubt even if the holes are on the small side. At least your repair will only have an epoxy glue line as opposed to solid epoxy that could just fracture out of the hole.
    Understood … I’m thinking I could order some phenolic dowels/rod material to use as a plug … any thoughts on where I might find that?