Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a Onefinity CNC?

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks Keven. As George said, there's no cable management unless you do some add-ons, which I plan to at some point. Yes, I saw in one of the videos how node editing is a key feature to eliminating errant tool paths. Drawing directly in Cut2D, and likely VCarve isn't too hard; however, I prefer SketchUp when I design cabinets and furniture because I work in 3D. At this point, it looks pretty straightforward to send 2D files of the parts to Cut2D, etc. The ones I've tried it with came in w/o issue.

One feature that looks perfect for my needs is nesting. It will maximize the number of parts that I can get out of sheet as well as tell me how many sheets I'll need. No more doodling on paper. And in some cases more parts than I could get manually with my traditional machines. It's all pretty exciting.

Now about that 10 - 12 week wait for it to ship. Ugh.

John
    Theres plenty of prep work to do. My final parts came in 2 weeks ago and im still fumbling around getting DC set up. Other than that its set, I got water cooling in and all drag chains closed up. All my movement is tested and fixed. just have to test spindle and I can start cutting

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Theres plenty of prep work to do. My final parts came in 2 weeks ago and im still fumbling around getting DC set up. Other than that its set, I got water cooling in and all drag chains closed up. All my movement is tested and fixed. just have to test spindle and I can start cutting
    Thanks for the progress report George. I hope you'll post some photos or video once it's running.

At this point, I'm just going to start with a Makita knockoff router I have and use a shop vac for dust collection. I can't see running my 1200 cfm DC for this little thing. I may look at upgrading to a quieter Fein or heaven forbid Festool vacuum. But first I'm going to put the vacuum I have under the machine in a vented sound enclosure and see how that works and how loud it is. I can see going to the spindle PDQ but had to draw the line with it initially to maintain wedded bliss.

What I don't know about all of this is astounding. But most folks seem to figure it out and I'm sure I will, too. Thankfully, I come from a background of running and programming precision mechanical properties test machines, so the subject matter is familiar if not the language.

What do you all recommend for a set of router bits to get started with, focused on 2.5D work? My initial use is targeted at cutting 1/4" phenolic and 3/4" Baltic birch plywood, cutting out nested shapes, plowing dados, and drilling holes. Thanks.

John

John, I started with a shop vac and quickly realized it was not up to the job. I connected my 1200 cfm DC and even that is underpowered at times. Big or small, these things generate an incredible amount of dust & chips.

Congrats on the new machine!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Still working on the base for mine. All the rails and mortised and tenoned into the legs, but until I get the actual unit on the top, I just connected it all with the corner braces, just in case I need to change the size.

Once I'm happy with the size, I'll disassemble it and glue and screw it.

I'll make the drawers tomorrow and if I do change the base size, I'll just have to rework the center drawers.

I'm using a 1hp Harbor Freight DC and it does a good job keeping up with the 1F. But I have it mounted high on the wall right next to the machine so there's very little hose between the spindle and DC. I've been side tracked with photography so I haven't swapped out the DC bag with a quality pleated filter.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Its staying up there. Onefinity has a wall mount kit.
    Interesting certainly. While my CNC couldn't possibly be ran that way the thought of any work pieces with size and mass being positioned easily and consistently would seem quite challenging. But maybe there's a simple method I'm not seeing/envisioning. As John said please post photos when you get it going.

Thank you to all who are posting - I was not aware of this option = looks like the one I will go with. For those of you who are using spindles, please share your opinions on best spindles & where to source.

I'm using a HY 2.2kw Chinese spindle. So far it's worked just fine for me. Plenty of power. I got the HY brand because I think they make both the spindle and the VFD. It's a water cooled spindle. If I was going with a 1.5kw spindle I think I would go with an air cooled one. There's nicer ones out there but the HY and clones have lots of information about how to set them up and program the controller. Personally I wouldn't use a trim router. They aren't designed to run for hours on end and are noisy. If my HY dies I would look into a non Chinese one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I'm using a HY 2.2kw Chinese spindle. So far it's worked just fine for me. Plenty of power. I got the HY brand because I think they make both the spindle and the VFD. It's a water cooled spindle. If I was going with a 1.5kw spindle I think I would go with an air cooled one. There's nicer ones out there but the HY and clones have lots of information about how to set them up and program the controller. Personally I wouldn't use a trim router. They aren't designed to run for hours on end and are noisy. If my HY dies I would look into a non Chinese one.
    Thank you. I was a bit concerned about the Chinese ones would prefer a non Chinese one. But one like : eBay item # 114758436813
    2.2kw Chinese water cooled spindle might be a good one start with 110v. No ATC but probably no issue at beginning stage, learning to use VCarve Pro is priority 1. Since lead time of 10-12 weeks leaves lots of time for decisions - 4.5kw spindle would be awesome but would require 220v or 3 phase.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-29-2021 at 7:37 PM. Reason: Removed ebay link per TOS

Finally finished the base and starting to assemble the CNC

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 01-01-2022 at 8:48 PM.

Looking good, Chris!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes indeed, that's one well made cabinet.

I'm using casters with levelers for mine to accommodate my uneven floor. Only 8 - 10 more weeks of waiting - I hope.

John

Got mine up and running today. I ordered to extra long cables from Route1WoodDesign via Etsy.

These will allow me to run the cables through drag chains. These cables replace the M0/X and M3/Z cables. The OEM M3/Z cable is a coiled cable that is clamped to the Z stepper motor and left side of the Z rail. It was easy to remove.

I'll also be running the Spindle water cooling hoses through the drag chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    VCarve Pro has the same import capability as Aspire with the exception of being limited to a single non-Vectric 3D model in a design. I rarely import anything 2D outside of some vector graphics a client provides for personalization of his charcuterie boards...which I then modify/tweak in the Vectric software so they will cut as required.
    I use VcarvePro and the one time this was an issue (combining two STLs of Three-Stooges -- don't ask) I just used Meshmixer and did the work on the STLs there and exported a single STL to use in VcarvePro.

Might be a little bit of a faff but worked just fine in the end.

If you think you will be doing that sort of thing a lot, probably go with Aspire. But otherwise VcarvePro is sufficient. And you can always upgrade based on just the difference in price.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I agree, Rob. I was just pointing out a difference that has come up with some folks. Your solution certainly helps get around that. I actually did start with VCarve Pro. Along came a client that needed some magnolia based appliqués for a fireplace and other elements for an all walnut library in a huge house and was willing to pay a whole bunch of money for the work. The upgrade was bought the next day for the difference in price that you note. While I don't use the Aspire specific features a lot, I'm not unhappy that I have them!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...