Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a Onefinity CNC?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone using a Onefinity CNC?

I'm contemplating buying my first CNC, a Onefinity. I'm an absolute noob to CNC but can see the benefit to many of the things I make. I'm a hobbiest but want a reasonable large format because I make cabinets and furniture, so I'm specifically looking at the Journeyman.

I mostly need 2 or 2.5D but once I have a machine I'm sure I'll play around with carving, too. I don't need production capability. I'm hoping I can upgrade to a higher level of SketchUp that exports DXF files and use those to feed some low cost or included software to generate the G code for the CNC.

If anyone here has a Onefinity I'd appreciate hearing your review, do's, don'ts, must haves, etc. Thanks.

John

Just got my OneFinity Journeyman delivered a few weeks ago. Haven't taken it out of the box yet. other than to check that my whole order arrived.

I have the lumber to built a table and that is my plan for next week.

I decided to go straight to a Spindle rather than use the suggested Makita Router. I opted for a water cooled 220v unit as I have plenty of access to 220v around my garage.

There is a very active Facebook page that is very helpful for questions, seeing what people are building, etc.

I know there's a couple of other Creekers who just got their 1F CNC's
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-03-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks very much for that link Chris. I'm going to look into that group. Good luck putting your unit together. I hope you'll post some pictures and maybe a review after you get your unit up and running.

John

I got my 1F around mid July. I haven't had as much time as I would like but have made a few things. The software you choose is everything. You will want to invest time learning it. As for the the machine itself, I don't think you can find a better CNC router for the money. You will want to add a few accessories. The touch probe is worth it as well as a game controller joypad. I also opted for a spindle over a router mainly because I wanted to use bits with a larger shank than 1/4". I got the 10" monitor they sell but have already bought a larger one. The 10" monitor has a magnetic base and can easily be bumped and fall. Most of what accessories they sell you can make yourself or find elsewhere for a reasonable price.

Thanks Alex. I would get the touchpad and game controller joypad, too. With the monitor, what's the connection to the machine, USB or something special? And I'm sure I'll get a spindle for it at some point. I'll probably by the mount when I purchase the machine but start learning with my Makita knockoff router and then buy a spindle when I know a little more.

What software are you using?

John

The monitor is USB (I believe), mine's still in a box. Many people complain about the monitor mount and many others go with a larger touchscreen.

I signed up for the vCarve Pro at the time of purchasing the CNC, I believe you get a discount in doing that. You get a link that allows you to download and register it. All was pretty straight forward.

Lot's of great YT video tutorials for vCarve. Mark Lindsey is my current go to.

John, if you can afford the spindle up front, do that. Much better than a screaming router motor, more speed control and better collet options. It's kinda like a gun with and without the PPS system
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's kinda like a gun with and without the PPS system
    Well now you're preaching to the choir!! lol thats a comparison John will relate well to.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Got my wasteboard frame, this past Saturday, so did a quick assembly of the main components to guesstimate the table/cabinet size that I'm about to start building. Top will be 2000mm x 1400mm.

That looks really great, Chris. I'm glad to see you were generous with space as it will come in handy while working with the machine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Thanks Alex. I would get the touchpad and game controller joypad, too. With the monitor, what's the connection to the machine, USB or something special? And I'm sure I'll get a spindle for it at some point. I'll probably by the mount when I purchase the machine but start learning with my Makita knockoff router and then buy a spindle when I know a little more.

What software are you using?

John
    The display part uses a HDMI connection while the touch part uses a USB. The 1F controller doesn't support USB 3.x thumb drives so I would guess it also doesn't support a touch monitor with a USB 3.x connection but I can't confirm that.

I'm still using the free version of Fusion 360. Sooner or later I'll buy V-carve Pro but not until I have the time to learn the software. I have the free version on my laptop but I've been too busy to play with it.

Onefinity sells a breakout box that allows the 1F Controller to control the spindle speed through the gcode.

I think it’s around $30 and only uses 2 or 3 wires.

I got a shipping notification last night the final piece was shipped and will be delivered thursday. Im taking off Friday.

I got x50 journeyman with the mounting frame, Wall mount, 80mm spindle holder, probe, controller, breakout, dust boot vcarve pro

I bought the huanyang 220 2.2kw spindle. I decided to put together a closed loop cooling system. People I was told after a 4 hr carve it only went up degrees or so.
    I also 3d printed a bunch of wire routing stuff.

Im excited
    Last edited by George Yetka; 12-02-2021 at 1:33 PM.

I've had my OF woodworker since March, and love it. I use Vectric Pro with it. I've got probably 400 hours on the Makita router and have had no complaints as yet with it - but, I also have the OF in a sound deadening enclosure. I may one day get a spindle but really haven't seen a need as yet even though I've done large scale wooden parts and 8-10 hour carves with it. Mine is the "original" as the larger journeyman wasn't even on the horizon when I made my purchase. It is built like a tank, and I think you'll find when viewing their forums that the OF community is very pleased with customer support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Nordyke View Post
    I've had my OF woodworker since March, and love it. I use Vectric Pro with it. I've got probably 400 hours on the Makita router and have had no complaints as yet with it - but, I also have the OF in a sound deadening enclosure. I may one day get a spindle but really haven't seen a need as yet even though I've done large scale wooden parts and 8-10 hour carves with it. Mine is the "original" as the larger journeyman wasn't even on the horizon when I made my purchase. It is built like a tank, and I think you'll find when viewing their forums that the OF community is very pleased with customer support as well.

If you are ever looking for bigger they offer the journeyman upgrade