Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millers Falls Cigar Shave

Thank you for solving this Jim. I had one and probably spent 40 hours with sand paper wrapepd around a stick trying to get the inside of the iron clean. I sold it off cheap to someone with a documented history of good prolem solving skills hear, I dunno if he got his working or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    (...)Check out this YouTube link: https://youtu.be/R2eqct-UU7o

It’s almost 2 hours long, but delves into almost everything about the MF cigar shave, including the 4 hole version. Didn’t resolve my difficulties, but interesting. (...)
    Hi Stephen, many thanks for the link. I agree with you, we did not learn much about sharpening but that definately answered the question about different types, many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    (...)Your blade looks like it has a secondary bevel. That doesn't work so well on a bevel down blade with a very small relief angle. This blade has a micro bevel on the inside of the curve.(...)
    Hi Jim, thank you for your advice. I agree this secondary bevel looks wrong and seems in the way, so I will definately get rid of this first. In addition I can see that my blade has 0 bevel inside the curve so I will add this as it is not the first time I hear about it for this specific spokeshave. Many thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel de Pugey View Post
    [edited]
    Hi Jim, thank you for your advice. I agree this secondary bevel looks wrong and seems in the way, so I will definately get rid of this first. In addition I can see that my blade has 0 bevel inside the curve so I will add this as it is not the first time I hear about it for this specific spokeshave. Many thanks for your help.
    You are welcome Axel. Here is an old thread on the subject > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?273263 < The 12th post has an instruction sheet for sharpening what looks to be a copy of the Millers Falls Cigar Shave.

There are also a few others in the thread who have found their own solutions to the mystery of these odd shaves.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you Jim, I still have to read these other threads. I normally always do a search before posting a question, but this was a new thread.

I would like to come back on Stephen's link:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Axel et al,

Check out this YouTube link: https://youtu.be/R2eqct-UU7o

It’s almost 2 hours long, but delves into almost everything about the MF cigar shave, including the 4 hole version. Didn’t resolve my difficulties, but interesting. Btw, for those of you unfamiliar with it, this is a fantastic YouTube channel.

I have first viewed only the part of the kilted guy and did not think much of it...But today I took the time to view the second part with all the Q&A of the group, and it is by far more interesting!
    It appears that the four holes version appeared in the 1894 catalogue, while the two holes version appeared only at least from 1915.

But in my very case, I was extremely interested at 1:32 when an individual showed that his version (four holes like mine) was not milled according to the patent. The lip of the mouth should be under the circumference of the tool (top left of x’), while his and mine, are joining the circumference of the tool.

So rather than milling the actual flat of the sole down and potentially making a big mess, honing an inside bevel might really help.
    I understand most people hone an inside bevel anyway, but in my situation I think the tool cannot physically cut without it.
    I have other priorities, but I will try that when I can.

Thanks again for the link Stephen.
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 12-25-2021 at 9:35 PM.