Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danger Will Rogers

Danger Will Rogers

What is the best way to remove stick on stuff. Ive tried a few things that didnt work and dont want to use Lac Reducer or Acetone and take paint off at least at the moment. Realize now I should have tried a heat gun and will try that tonight

Capture.JPG

Your final realization should have been your first go-to. Heat is always your savior folllowed by a solvent wipe that doesnt attack the the base finish.

Oil of any kind will seep under and degrade ,dissolve gummy glues on metals.

Heat works the best on most adhesives I've encountered.

From the title I would use a bull whip just lightly touching the work.
    Bill D

Heat should allow you to remove the sticker. Then, use Goo Gone to remove the adhesive residue. If the label is simply paper, not a plastic film, Goo Gone will often be sufficient to remove the sticker and the residue -- no heat required.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I'd try a razor blade in a holder, like they use to scrape off windshield stickers.

Robinson......

It was "Danger Will Robinson" - the robot onLost in Space used to say as it waved its arms around.

I believe the robot & Will too would probably have tried WD40.

Coke - as in Coca Cola is another possibility. I know Coke eats up old tile floor adhesive -so it might be worth a try.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

WD40 is my go-to for this. Use a razor blade to scrape the outer film off, squirt with WD40 and let it do its thing.

Heat and scraping followed by Goo Gone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Canter View Post
    WD40 is my go-to for this. Use a razor blade to scrape the outer film off, squirt with WD40 and let it do its thing.
    Me too … WD-40 is surprisingly effective at removing sticky residue.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Xylene works well, just remember it will damage latex paint.

I paint cars occasionally as a hobby, and there is some stuff made for that available at any store that sells automotive paint supplies. Have had the same can for 25 years, still works like a charm. Its used too remove signs and vinyl graphics, but works on all stick on crap and has not bothered any wood finishes so far for me.

This title has had me wandering around for days with an image of the cowboy humorist-- "Oklahoma's favorite son"-- wandering around in a robot suit pointing out dangers. That does not compute...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Robinson......

It was "Danger Will Robinson" - the robot onLost in Space used to say as it waved its arms around.

I believe the robot & Will too would probably have tried WD40.

Coke - as in Coca Cola is another possibility. I know Coke eats up old tile floor adhesive -so it might be worth a try.

Just another possibility - I use Dental Floss to remove photos from the photo albums with the sticky paper panels covered with clear plastic. The clear plastic always peels off easily, but getting the photo off without destroying it is a near impossibility. Dragging a Dentil Floss string carefully and diagonally between the photo and the sticky backing in a back and forth sawing method will separate the photo from the sticky backing.

This might work for your label problem too, if the label is relatively thick and the bond a bit rubbery like the photo album panels.

Charley