Thread: dovetail saw

dovetail saw

My pockets aren't deep enough for the quality dovetail saws currently sold. Can anyone suggest a purveyor of old tools who might have vintage western dovetail saws? I've checked ebay plenty but picking are slim.
    Thanks!

There are a few guys here that refurb saws as a hobby. I'll let them respond for themselves. But my gut says that a good, already-refurbished DT saw may not cost much less than a Veritas DT saw ($80). Here's a link to Lee Valley where you can find them, if you want to take a look. LINK

I have one of these and like it. This tool doesnt have the cachet of the $250 boutique saws, but it's a nice tool. Another I have is the Lie Neilsen DT saw, for about $130.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-28-2021 at 4:28 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fred beat me to it...the Veritas saws are very affordably priced and are also well balanced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by mark downing View Post
    My pockets aren't deep enough for the quality dovetail saws currently sold. Can anyone suggest a purveyor of old tools who might have vintage western dovetail saws? I've checked ebay plenty but picking are slim.
    Thanks!
    Biggest change you can make to any western back saw for dovetailing is convert it to rip teeth. Japanese pull saws work great right out of the box if the tooth count is high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Biggest change you can make to any western back saw for dovetailing is convert it to rip teeth. Japanese pull saws work great right out of the box if the tooth count is high enough.
    I traded in all my western saws for cheap japanese borg saws years ago. I'll put my $12 Irwin dovetail saw up against anything out there. Sure, I gotta hide it when a customer tours the shop, but it works so well for so many things. If your budget is tight and handcut joinery is the goal, you might want to check one out.

I started with a medium sized dozuki for making dovetails. Since that time, I bought a LN dovetail saw. I like the LN saw but the dozuki worked fine. A medium dozuki is not very expensive.

The LV dovetail saws are good, also.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    There are a few guys here that refurb saws as a hobby. I'll let them respond for themselves. But my gut says that a good, already-refurbished DT saw may not cost much less than a Veritas DT saw ($80). Here's a link to Lee Valley where you can find them, if you want to take a look. LINK

I have one of these and like it. This tool doesnt have the cachet of the $250 boutique saws, but it's a nice tool. Another I have is the Lie Neilsen DT saw, for about $130.

Fred
    True story. I've found that lately, old and unrefurbished backsaws are demanding premium money. I've run across a couple old Disstons lately with asking prices over $100. After all, they're rare and vintage .
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Fred
    Looks like a factory second is available at a discount for Cyber Monday. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...ond?item=CM221

I've seen it and done it after watching Frank Klausz take a cheap gent's type saw and turning it into a decent saw by removing some set and sharpening it properly.

Just saw that Lee Valley has their 20 tpi dovetail saw on the Cyber Monday sale for $59 (down from $79).
    Great saw for an unbelievable price. Almost makes me want to get another.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Just saw that Lee Valley has their 20 tpi dovetail saw on the Cyber Monday sale for $59 (down from $79).
    Great saw for an unbelievable price. Almost makes me want to get another.
    20tpi is a bit too fine for my taste but the price is right.

There's nothing wrong with 20tpi but it's a bit slow compared to a 14 or 15tpi.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.