Thread: ULMIA 354 Question

ULMIA 354 Question

Several years ago, I purchased a new Ulmia 354 mitre saw. I have had mixed results with accuracy— horizontally the accuracy is excellent. Vertically I get mixed results — some times the cut veers to left other times the veer is to right. On rare occasions it works correctly.

It seems to be a function of saw blade — I still use the 10 pt/inch blades. It also seems to be a function of how I attach the blades.

Any thoughts? Ido i need to do something with the set of the blades

Blog Entries
    It seems to be a function of saw blade — I still use the 10 pt/inch blades. It also seems to be a function of how I attach the blades.

Any thoughts? Ido i need to do something with the set of the blades
    If it goes one way at times and a different way at other times it doesn't sound like set. Bad set on a saw tends to be consistent about which way it pulls.

If it "seems to be a function of how you attach the blades," that could be the way to learning how to correct the wayward blade.

One page mentions being able to adjust the vertical angle. It didn't mention how.

If the blade is loose, it could be steered by the wood's density and grain variations.

Here is another item from Peck Tools site:

To achieve absolutely precise cuts, the buck saw should be guided downwards during sawing, particularly when making the initial sawing strokes, without exerting pressure and at the same time the stock pressed manually against the back panel of the saw table.
    https://www.pecktool.com/product/ulm...miter-box-saw/

Not much more information there.

Another thought is if the fibre guides are worn or have shrunk the guide rod could be wobbling.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-28-2021 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Another thought
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Generally, different blades cause different directions in the vertically cut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adel Heiba View Post
    Generally, different blades cause different directions in the vertically cut
    That could indicate the blade having more set on one side.

Often this can be corrected by running a stone over the side to which the blade is pulling.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

try to saw free - only the fram saw without the holder. If the cut wanders the blad needs work on the setting.

Adel, the Ulmia miter box is beautiful but the blade is ugly. Therefore I rarely use it. The blade is impulsed hardened, making sharpening difficult. I emailed Dieter Scmid in Germany where I bought it 20 years ago & they did not know of another blade source. A couple of years ago Blackburn was going to make a custom blade for me but that fell through. They do not make a Japanese turbo blade in that long length. Miter saws rarely give me the accurate cut I need in furniture building. Here is a related thread https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....354&highlight=

Hi Mark

From your response I am not alone. In the past I have used shooting boards following a cut with the Ulmia and kind of forgotten about the issue. The issue came up again with cutting table legs to length and the shooting board solution beyond my knowledge.

thank you

adel