Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullets from the tablesaw

I make 1/2" cutoffs using a small sled for a particular small part I cut for a non-profit. Never had a problem with the the offcuts getting shot back at me. Until recently, when I went with a newer Freud rip blade. Same part number as the old blade, but there is a difference in the shape of the gullets. That blade threw 3 or 4 of those cut offs at me in short order after starting a session. The blade was the only difference so I put the old rip blade back on and no more problems. So, a long winded way of saying, it could be the blade. As suggested, try a different blade if you have one.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 11-28-2021 at 5:09 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Someone posted a link to a small parts cutting sled here, within the past couple of weeks.

Have you tried a deflector wedge to push cuttoffs away from the blade? Very handy, I use one all the time.

I always just make those cuts in more than one pass. I actually have hash marks on the ZCI to delineate the problem length. I can see in a glance when I need to do a double cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I make 1/2" cutoffs using a small sled for a particular small part I cut for a non-profit. Never had a problem with the the offcuts getting shot back at me. Until recently, when I went with a newer Freud rip blade. Same part number as the old blade, but there is a difference in the shape of the gullets. That blade threw 3 or 4 of those cut offs at me in short order after starting a session. The blade was the only difference so I put the old rip blade back on and no more problems. So, a long winded way of saying, it could be the blade. As suggested, try a different blade if you have one.
    Thanks for teaching me something new.

Blog Entries
    I agree with those stating that a sled carries the off cut away from the blade and eliminates the problem. An alternative to this is something like the Grr-ripper which carries the off cut away from the blade as well. I use both but not at the same time :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for so many good replies. I took a look at my ZCI and found that it is actually more like 1/8" from the WWII. I may replace it.

However, I recently made a small parts sled and made the clearance cut with this blade so it is as tight as possible and it does the same thing.

Now it's time to experiment with another blade.

Watch your blade height, too...if it's too low, it can cause interesting things to happen because of "lifting", etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Someone posted a link to a small parts cutting sled here, within the past couple of weeks.
    Was not me but the one I like the best and use was found here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Thanks for so many good replies. I took a look at my ZCI and found that it is actually more like 1/8" from the WWII. I may replace it.

However, I recently made a small parts sled and made the clearance cut with this blade so it is as tight as possible and it does the same thing.

Now it's time to experiment with another blade.
    I used to get wood rockets launched when beveling the bottom of sash. Switching to a dado blade made the projectiles into shavings.