Thread: Long Shaft Crank Pepper Mill Mechanism Source?

Long Shaft Crank Pepper Mill Mechanism Source?

I have had a request from a customer for a crank pepper mill. All I have turned up to this point are the CrushGrind mills (about 25-30 of those). So, this evening I set out on an internet search for crank-style mill mechanisms (not the antique style ones...). My search eventually led me to Woodcraft Supply where they sell mechanisms up to 8" shaft length. This is that longest shaft length I have found. Can anyone tell me if you know where I may be able to find mechanisms with shaft lengths longer than 8"?

Thanks!
    Matthew

Packard sells the "Deluxe" mechanisms (which I prefer to crushgrind, at least for grinding pepper) in sizes up to 24". Others probably carry them as well, eg Craft supply.

They use a square aluminum shaft that is readily adjusted to any length by just cutting off the end and peening it over, or you could make ones from stock of any arbitrary length, though at some point they will bee too long to work effectively. Just thread one end and peen over the other.

Thank you Roger for the tip on the long mills from Packard. However Im looking for a long mechanism that has a crank on the top, not one where you twist the top of the mill...

sorry, didn't catch that!

You could extend any shaft with a couple of couplers-- https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-sh...aft-couplings/

I may have to consider doing that. Thanks.