Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: saw stop

Btw - if you do keep the saw and swap to the ICS base, make sure you get the Industrial Cabinet Saw Mobile Base with PCS Conversion Kit
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I'm probably wrong here, but this all sounds more like buyers remorse, than a loss of confidence in the actual saw. I don't own a SS, only because I can't afford one, but if I could, I'd buy one tomorrow based on reported quality and customer satisfaction. My unsolicited advice is to buy a better base and love that SS. A year or two from now, you won't even think about how much you spent on it.

Blog Entries
    I suspect the holes not lining up is a matter of incorrect assembly or perhaps the wrong part being used. My experience is that they build their saws to a very high standard of fit & finish and charge accordingly. If OP has buyer's remorse that's fine, just return it within the permitted window. But don't make choices based on superstition or because they may have gotten a misdrilled part. Stuff like that happens, but at least give the manufacturer a chance to make it right.

Jeff, I bought the saw (the 3 hp PCS) earlier this year, and I also balked at the (Canadian) $550.00 ish price of the ICS base. I ended up getting the grizzly 4 swivel base.
    There are many posters here like myself who own the saw. I really appreciate the safety and thoughtfulness that went into the design and execution of the saw.
    For whatever reason, it sounds to me like you really are unhappy with your choice. If it’s going to make you unhappy every time you use it, get rid of the unit. Whether you return it or sell it privately, it’s not worth the aggravation.
    In my case, working alone doing the setup and then, getting the over blade dust collector (which I don’t believe is all that good), and retrofitting the grizzly base was incredibly frustrating. But contrary to my personality I looked at it as a learning experience.
    If you are able to step back and tackle each step as a challenge, it may make life easier.
    Unlike you, I never had a cabinet saw before, I had a hybrid with a built in mobile base, so I only looked at the safety and quality. Also unlike you, I was able to deal with my local Lee Valley people who are 5 km away and are committed to customer service. I know it makes a huge difference. There’s a lot of dealers of Saw Stop in my area.
    Again, if your experience is too galling to get over and see long term benefits of the saw, get rid of it. It’s not worth the long term unhappiness.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

To whom this may concern...this is not buyers remorse...I bought this saw not only for myself but my granddaughter to get into wood safety... personally you need to keep your smart remarks to yourself...I didn't put this on here for comments like this...and as far as money...I could buy 10 of these saws...but when I spend my money...especially when your buying the rolls Royce of table saw.... yes I expect it to be alot better than this tank I bought

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    To whom this may concern...this is not buyers remorse...I bought this saw not only for myself but my granddaughter to get into wood safety... personally you need to keep your smart remarks to yourself...I didn't put this on here for comments like this...and as far as money...I could buy 10 of these saws...but when I spend my money...especially when your buying the rolls Royce of table saw.... yes I expect it to be alot better than this tank I bought
    Ouch! Just say'n...

Don't have a cow, man. Take it back or keep it, whatever. It's not clear why you did post except to complain, but I didn't see any insulting comments (well, maybe "superstition" to describe "im a firm believer that if you start out having that many problems,,,this isnt for you", but hey, don't have a cow). Sawstop has earned a reputation for quality and customer service. They will probably help you deal with your problem given a chance. Some misaligned bolt holes on the base seems like a small and easily fixed issue. If you want the "rolls Royce of table saw" get a Martin. It will cost as much as ten Sawstops though.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-28-2021 at 8:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    Take some pictures please. I and I am sure many others are curious about the issue mounting the mobile base. When I built my sawstop a few weeks back, it was honestly the best machine I assembled to date, and I have equipment from Laguna, Jet, Dewalt, SawStop, Ridgid, and have had Delta in the past but that is all gone now. The instructions from SS were the best, ever piece, part, bolt, nut, hole etc was really perfect. And I do Quality Assurance for a living (in software), but that falls over to everything else, especially my hobbies. So, please take some pictures of the issue.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

You said in your original post that you would get a lot of slack from the post. Exactly, what did you expect to get or want to get for responses? Obviously, the responses were not what you wanted.

You got similar responses on another website where you posted the exact same thing.

I have the PCS with the PCS base. I was able to easily assemble the entire system by myself and I'm no spring chicken or powerlifter. I do understand that with the ICS base, you can't have the outfeed table drop smoothly when not in use. I'm sure the ICS base is far superior, but I don't have any issues moving my PCS with the builti-n PCS base. Gotta do a little back and forth but it's fine. I LOVE my sawstop and would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I go by a completely opposite theory of life. I'd rather deal with a few issues and be patient to get exactly what I wanted than settle for the expedient. I try not to let short term problems ruin my long term goals. It sounds like you put a lot of thought and consideration into this only to throw a tantrum when it got a little annoying. Btw, Sawstop is by no means the Rolls-Royce of table saws, more like a Toyota. Also, it sounds like you still have a pretty compelling reason to want the Saw Stop. Use it, in five years you won't even remember this, but you'll still love the saw.

OP removed the saw from his truck. Why not utilize the same procedure used to remove it to put it back on?

Or, call a rental shop and see if they have a rental pick up with a lift. At on time, the local Home Depot by me had rental pick up with a lift.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-29-2021 at 2:09 AM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I go by a completely opposite theory of life. I'd rather deal with a few issues and be patient to get exactly what I wanted than settle for the expedient. I try not to let short term problems ruin my long term goals. It sounds like you put a lot of thought and consideration into this only to throw a tantrum when it got a little annoying. Btw, Sawstop is by no means the Rolls-Royce of table saws, more like a Toyota. Also, it sounds like you still have a pretty compelling reason to want the Saw Stop. Use it, in five years you won't even remember this, but you'll still love the saw.

I very much agree! Plus I personally think that getting it dialed in is part of the fun of getting a new toy. I've had a few similar experiences with large machine tools over the years, but it has always worked out.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    There's been a lot of good comments here, but I think this sums up the situation perfectly. Good advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    OP removed the saw from his truck. Why not utilize the same procedure used to remove it to put it back on?

Or, call a rental shop and see if they have a rental pick up with a lift. At on time, the local Home Depot by me had rental pick up with a lift.
    That actually is a valid concern. When it's all packaged from the factory, it's doable for 1 person to get it out of the bed of a pickup. Getting it back up there would be a lot harder.