Thread: Drill a small-diameter pilot hole, THEN a large-diameter finished hole? Or not?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I don't think I'd use JB Weld for either application as it is a putty consistency and won't penetrate the wood to any degree. I use marine epoxy to wet out the wood and thicken it with various fillers when needed.
    I'm trying to use what I have on hand, or keep my methods as inexpensive and simple as possible. I take your point, but this YouTube link makes me think J-B Weld is sufficient for installing my aluminum anti-split brace.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    As to sleeving, I would coat the hole with epoxy and set the pins wet. Do a test to see if it will work for you. If you can get a proper press fit by drilling that would be preferable.
    I much appreciate this insight, Kevin, and will keep it in mind, but I'm afraid =O of setting these anchors in wet epoxy. I have very little experience with 2-part epoxies, but a healthy respect for their holding strength. I read somewhere that heat can be applied to the threaded posts via a soldering iron, and the heat should transfer to the anchors sufficiently to remove the anchors if need be. But Murphy's Law never sleeps, and it's possible that I will need to remove the anchors for maintenance or to relocate these bridges to better guitars one day.

Fingers crossed that the 25/64" drill does the job without complications.
    Last edited by Tom Burgess; 11-29-2021 at 6:23 PM.