Thread: MFT dimensions

MFT dimensions

My latest rabbit hole. I picked up the Parf Guide Mark II from Lee Valley recently and a sheet of 3/4” MDF and now that I am finishing the floor re-finishing project at the house am ready to proceed to making a table or two. I have watched Peter Parfman’s YT’s and checked out Festool’s site and noted dimensions but want to ask those working on MFT’s what they like for size and why. I will leave my Hitachi SCMS on the Dewalt horse outside on the porch. I don’t like it indoors for room & dust collection reasons. I have the Festool 55 and assorted rails as well as the Parf dogs, etc for this. This is proving to be another costly venture, but what rabbit hole isn’t, as I think I may not be able to do without the Festool 1400 router to run on the rails. Much obliged for any suggestions.

I have the Festool MFT and found it a bit limiting in size. I like the concept, but wanted something with a larger crosscut capacity.

I had already built a 36" x 72" bench, which I didn't incorporate bench dogs into, so I made a simple faux top, out of MDF, that just lays flat on my bench. I move it when necessary, not often, and clamp it to the bench when needed, again not often.

I used the Part system for the dog holes.

I own the Festool MFT and find the size limited. If I was using the Parf Guide and had the room, I would build something like 72” x 42”.

Blog Entries
    I have space limitations but would like the ability to have a relatively large work table for my material cart. I saw this video from Ruwi for their top and have designed a clone that I intend to make when I'm done with my current project.

The worksurface size can be whatever you want it to be based on your individual need and the space available in your shop. The actual grid is 20mm holes on 96mm centers if you want to be consistent with the Festool MFT design. I have these grids on multiple benches. (I also own an older MFT1080 that I made taller...it doesn't get used much, but it does get used) I really like what Chris shows above for his setup as it clearly illustrates the flexibility that can be attained with a custom design for one's needs.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Festool MFT and like others have mentioned, the size can be limiting. I have a small space in my shop for it when stored, however I found a compact way to store it yet quickly widen it to 3X. A nested auxilliary top and a narrow extension have greatly improved the usefulness for the work that I do. I'd like something larger but don't have the space.

Picture3.jpg

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

THAT...is outstanding, Dick!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    THAT...is outstanding, Dick!
    +1. Very well thought out and I should think easily modified if the need arises.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I have the Festool MFT and like others have mentioned, the size can be limiting. I have a small space in my shop for it when stored, however I found a compact way to store it yet quickly widen it to 3X. A nested auxilliary top and a narrow extension have greatly improved the usefulness for the work that I do. I'd like something larger but don't have the space.
    What is the middle configuration used for?

My primary table is 3x8’ with three layers of 3/4” ply as the top. I think I will make an MDF overlay for it and add it to the top. As I use that top as an in/out feed I may have to pull a lay off the top, but getting the top laid out, drilled and functional is step one. Thanks for the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    What is the middle configuration used for?
    The picture in the middle is just for clarity showing the nested auxiliary top sandwiched between the MFT and the cart.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-28-2021 at 11:28 AM.
    Dick Mahany.