Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square dogs and dog holes... Some questions about making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post

For now, however, I have a bench that is almost complete, so I may as well get it in working order and start using it. I think I will just go for a very narrow lip of a few millimeters to keep the dogs from falling through the bottom. This will not look too bad and should still function just fine. Perhaps I can even use a strip of thick lether attached to the face of the dogs for this.
    That sounds like a reasonable solution. If it doesn't suit you can make changes based on experience. That is an advantage of a separate top and base.

If you do decide to add a tail vise in future I would recommend something like this https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e?item=70G0901 I have built two traditional end vises with wooden guides and while it is a fun project it is time consuming and exacting to get a good result. I think the metal guides would be simpler to install and reliable. Actually if I were to build a new bench (not happening) I would use a wagon vise, but that is just me.

This is an option for keeping the dogs in place, easy and effective https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...bullet-catches

So William is the dense foam tape providing the “spring” tension to hold the dog up? Nice little trick.

Yes Joe, the best part is the contact area is much larger than the wood spring method so it holds the dog really well. It moves less than a mm. It is a softer wood, so after sticking it on, planing it to size was easy if required. I’ve really had zero trouble with them, absolutely no slip.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    To me one advantage of square dog holes is the ability to come up with a make shift bench top lathe using the tail vise.

jtk
    That is brilliant! I assume two blocks with nails or screws in them would suffice?

I've never done any turning but have always wanted to give it a try and hook up some spring pole system.

I don't know if one handed turning is safe or possible, but I suppose it may even be possible, if using a tool rest, to turn the piece using a bow (similar to operating a bow drill) in one hand?

I read that tradtionally in India, pieces would be turned with an assistant holding to ends of a string and pulling alternately. Maybe a double foot treadle system could work too.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 11-30-2021 at 10:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've never done any turning but have always wanted to give it a try and hook up some spring pole system.
    It sounds like your imagination is well stocked with ideas of how to do this.

Please if you can take some pictures and post them.

Years ago there was a Youtube video of a person with a pole lathe making a better bowl, faster than a person on a power lathe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It sounds like your imagination is well stocked with ideas of how to do this.

Please if you can take some pictures and post them.

Years ago there was a Youtube video of a person with a pole lathe making a better bowl, faster than a person on a power lathe.

jtk

Will do!

My imagination can be something of a demerit as well though, as I often find myself reinventing the wheel in search of simple solutions (which often exist, but can be difficult to become aware of as they're often not implemented or discussed in favor of more complex and specialized solutions).

At any rate, I'll definitely post what I come up with, if I manage to make something that works.