Thread: Scroll Saw Stand Ideas, Experiences & Opinions

Scroll Saw Stand Ideas, Experiences & Opinions

Hi folks,

Tomorrow I will be the proud new owner of a 20" DeWalt scroll saw, courtesy of Acme's Black Friday sale, and I am looking for some ideas as to a stand. I don't want to get the factory stand, as I would like some storage and the ability to be mobile. If anyone has any pictures, experiences, or strong opinions as to what a scroll saw stand should (and should not) entail, I'm all ears Thanks!

I bought a used 788 a few months ago and too it off the stand right away. I keep mine on top of a cabinet out of the way, and when I want to use it I pick it up and move it onto a rolling cabinet/stand that puts it at a comfortable height for me. If you use it all the time you'd want a permanent stand, but for me it's more occasional so only having it out on the work surface when I'm using it works better.

I plan to put mine (Wen scroll saw) on a roll around "flip top" cart - with my Ridgid oscillating sander on the other side.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Like Zachary, I keep mine on a shelf and move it when I need it. But I think you were right to pass on the factory stand; when I looked at them the reviews were pretty negative. You might want to look at the reviews to see what folks didn't like about it so you know what to do differently.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My EX-21 is mounted on it's own dedicated cart, storage for small camps on the back and drawers for blades and other stuff. Top tilts and locks in place.
    scrollsaw cart.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave VanDewerker View Post
    My EX-21 is mounted on it's own dedicated cart, storage for small camps on the back and drawers for blades and other stuff. Top tilts and locks in place.
    Very nice, I like the adjustable tilt. Do you usually work at it standing or sitting? I'm thinking I will generally use mine sitting except for quick cuts, so I was wondering how much clearance the chair and your legs take?

I built this simple stand from plywood and 2x4's and added a blade storage box in front. Note the U-shape around the rear wheel - this doesn't quite touch the floor. It's to protect it from tipping when moving it around. The foot switch stores between the two legs as shown.
    Scroll saw blade storage 2.jpgScroll saw stand 1.jpg

I built one several years ago out of cherry and 30+ biscuits for my Delta saw.

59.jpg

20130908_142104.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I don't use a scroll saw much, and begrudge it the floor space it would take up in my shop, so I keep it on a shelf, and get it down when needed.

My thought has always been to keep it on a 2' deep HD shelf unit I have, with it being mounted on a shelf that slides out enough to use it, and slides back when not needed. Don't know if I will ever get around to it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Very nice, I like the adjustable tilt. Do you usually work at it standing or sitting? I'm thinking I will generally use mine sitting except for quick cuts, so I was wondering how much clearance the chair and your legs take?

I always sit at my saw, I had an adjustable metal stand for a while and i played with the table height until i found the correct height for me and built this cart to that height. The only thing I would do differently is make the front a little deeper for the foot switch, my switch is mounted 90 degrees to the normal use, I thought it would pain to use but after a couple times using it I am now used to it and works fine. The saw is tilted slightly under normal use, I have only tilted the saw when I did a large heavy project and it made moving the piece a bit easier.