Thread: kitchen cabinet uppers - varied heights

kitchen cabinet uppers - varied heights

i have a client who is demanding that i vary the height of the kitchen uppers - they want the corner cabinet to stick up above the adjacent cabinets, and have the crown wrap around. there are a few spots where they want this variance. personally, i hate it, but i'll build it.

for those who've done this, what's the variance? 8"? 6"? is there a rule of thumb? the crown i'm going to make is ~3 1/4" and i figure it needs to be prominent enough that there's no intersection of crowns, and have a noticeable reveal. otherwise, i'm operating blind on this one, mostly because i don't like it.

any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

-- dz

id lay out out full scale and look at it. Either draw it or a mock up with parts. I havent done that but thats how I solve stuff.

yeah i have a full CAD design going, just curious if there are "standards" or if others have found a particular delta that looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    id lay out out full scale and look at it. Either draw it or a mock up with parts. I havent done that but thats how I solve stuff.

I’d say that the variance should be what the homeowners like. It doesn’t matter if there might be some standard or not.

no computer stuff and I only draw full scale not small scale drawings. Its taught me design is one thing proportions are another. Laying it out with the parts even better.

Customer feedback is important to me. If something is wrong ill tell them why.

Attachment 468732
    David, please forgive the post turkey mess, but not only are the heights different, but the depths as well. I was really hesitant to build them, but when my beautiful lady asks……. It happened. Anyway, with time, they have grown on me!
    Cheers
    Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images

I likely have tons of examples but no time to hunt right now but know a friend has one of the mediocre kitchen companies and had this done in the past. 5/8 boxes bought doors and adequate finish get the job done stuff. I likely have a better photo at least not tilted. Im not a kitchen guy so far but there are lots of the british bespoke makers that I like. Id suggest you look into some of them. I think some of them do better work than we get here. The middle crown section comes out to maybe three inches from the front of the side cabinets but should check that statement.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-25-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Not sure this is much help, but our vent hood section is higher…3” from top of crown to top of crown on the lower section. That far section comes out farther to accommodate the microwave.

CAEB85A2-ADC6-4460-843F-AB83380FD3F8.jpg

I. would make the the difference enough that they can put stuff up there like pots and pans. At least enough you can get in to clean it with a vacuum.
    My sister had something like that in her living room. Lots of people in that subdivision put knicknacks up there. Large stuffed animals, stuffed animals in kiddy cars, Grecian urns etc.It was convient to throw a christamas wreath and lights on.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    The taller uppers are usually deeper as well for the crown to terminate into the sides.

Cabinet dimensions are usually in 3 inch increments for width and 6" for height. Uppers being at 30, 36, 42 high. However this is for typical for off the shelf and the starting points for semi-custom. But if you are doing a full custom kitchen, do whatever the homeowner asks for. They are paying for it, so it's there choice.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Here’s some cabinets I built. Not sure if this helps at all. Also trying to post from a cellphone so not sure if the photos are going to come through
    Bob C

Here's are kitchen. Corner cabinets are 6" taller.
    Jaromir

this is all very helpful, thanks guys. i'll build what they want... it's not the first time i don't love a design that i'll implement. thanks again.

That's unfortunately "part of the deal" for doing work with others, David. I like the examples that Jaromir and Bob posted as that what I think of when the subject of multi-height uppers is raised. In those designs, there's some symmetry between the raised upper and what's below it, such as featuring the cooking or sink area. But in the end, folks want what they want. Maybe the next customer will have "better" ideas. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...