Thread: Workbenches and options for Tool Holding?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Workbenches and options for Tool Holding?

I'm not sure the best terms here. This subject is covered only in passing in most conversation and even historical documents about woodworking, so I wanted to get a more detailed take on it.

How do you store and mount tools that you want handy on your bench, provided you don't have a tool cabinet?

Chisels, marking gauges, and squares, etc. I know are often attached to the back of the bench on a simple rack. That's easy enough.

Saws are... attached how and where?

Braces and bits?

Planes, I think, are usually kept at the back of the bench or on the tool well, or a drawer or rack something below the bench?

Oilstones...? Maybe in a drawer attached to the under side? Or in a tool box?

Clamps?

Mallet?

I'm trying to figure out the best options for all of these on a small Continental / Sloyd style bench. The Sloyd style benches used in schools seem to often have a very tall backboard, allowing tools to be mounted on both the front and back.
    I think I might try this out, but I'm not sold on it yet and want to consider other options. Likely, I will have both a low (flush with the top) backboard and a higher Sloyd style one, try them both, and see what I like.

I will have at most one drawer under the bench. Between the stretchers, I may put planks to create a low shelf or may even mount a simple tool chest, but besides that, I am trying to decide where to place tools that I want at hand...

Namely, I'm not sure where or how to hang or put my saw (one or two that I use the most), oilstones, mallet, and brace, which I would like to keep handy.

I'm also curious for those of you who have a single drawer under your bench: what do you put there? I'm guessing marking tools, bits, and maybe oilstones?

In the past, I never put much thought to where to store tools and how to keep them handy, and this basically lead to my bench and floor in a constant state of clutter, and constant searching for where I left this or that thing. So, I'm trying to put some actual thought into it this time!
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 11-25-2021 at 3:49 AM.