Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PM3520C won't run

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schulz View Post
    The black forward/reverse switch is a slider, not spring loaded.

PM did lock all the parameters by passcode to keep people from messing with them I think. I too had the passcode for the Jet, I think it came from Doc Green. However I never messed with the VFD for the 7 years I had it before the VFD failed, then it was too late to copy the parameters but Doc Green also had those so I could set up the new VFD.

The good news is I plugged the 3520C back into power last night and it's working as expected again. Go figure. Of course PM is closed until Monday so no joy there but I don't care until it fails again.

Next week my EE friend is coming over and we'll try to trace the wiring logic and diagram it to maybe help understand how the thing works, or don't. I'll keep you posted on status.

Glad it's working again! (fingers crossed, knock on Bubinga) If it gets loopy again and if you suspect the switch, and it is a mechanical magnetic switch (a lot of "if"s!) I might try rapping on it on the back with a screwdriver while sliding it. Not knowing anything about the internals, I'm wondering if something mechanical is hanging up inside.

Any chance there might be a loose connection at the receptacle? Might be worth a check, and could be intermittent if it is. We replaced a bedroom lamp a few times before I pulled the recep to find a loose-ish connection. No problems since. Several times I plugged something else into the outlet, and it worked, I can only assume I was reestablishing the connection.
    earl

In this case probably not. All power lights appear as normal on the VFD and the remote switch box. But the START button on the remote switch does not send a signal to the VFD to run for some reason or possibly the signal is sent but the VFD doesn't act on it. That would be BAD. :-( For now it's working as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Schulz View Post
    In this case probably not. All power lights appear as normal on the VFD and the remote switch box. But the START button on the remote switch does not send a signal to the VFD to run for some reason or possibly the signal is sent but the VFD doesn't act on it. That would be BAD. :-( For now it's working as expected.
    I'd be confident that you have now proven it's a switch issue. VFDs do not heal themselves.

You're right about that having replaced the VFD on my Jet1642. Dead is dead. 😔

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I hate that. This proprietary electronic stuff is a pet peeve of mine. A shop near here is selling their functional NC Kolle panel saw and I am pretty sure the main reason is that replacement controls are unavailable as the mfr is defunct.

To the OP, good luck in sorting it out. I am thankful to all the folks like John K. who share their experience so generously here.
    No one is forced to use proprietary electronic parts, but you need to either have the knowledge or know someone that does to replace it. The replacement selector switch on my Minimax Combo failed. It was a $450 replacement cost. I bought new parts on eBay, and invited a good friend over to help reverse engineer it. Spent less than $50. Because when it gets down to it, there is current at the wall and you need to start and run a motor.

1. Replace the switch in question
    2. If it doesn't fix it, it is most likely the controller

Powermatic tech support can help.

PowerMatic tech support was very helpful and sent new switches (ON/OFF & Forward/Reverse slider) which I received 2 days later. Traveling schedule has prevented installation but lathe was working as expected before I left.