Thread: Vicmarc VM150

Vicmarc VM150

I bought a used lathe that came with a bunch of accessories including a Vicmarc VM150. The problem I am having with the chuck is that it does not want to tighten using the hex key. I can get it tight enough to use with the rapid action, but when I try to fine tune with the key it will just spin and not tighten. Every so often it will work properly, but not very often. I don't see any way to take the chuck apart to maybe clean or lube it. Any ideas what might be wrong.

Well, I couldn't find the video on You Tube, but Ian 'Robbo' Robertson, probably most famous for video "Why you don't use a SRG for bowl turning" did a video on how to take your Vicmark and Nova chucks apart for cleaning, but I couldn't find it. His was better than the one Vicmark did. You could view that one and it is better than nothing.... No clue about the rapid action part as that was not available when I got my Vicmark chucks.

robo hippy

There's a third hole for the hex drive where you switch between the rapid action and tightening modes. If it's not firmly in one end or the other it can behave that way. I find I need to check it regularly. I've never taken mine apart to see exactly how that works or if it's adjustable. I'd ask the Vicmarc folks about it before doing surgery.