Thread: Framing canvas

Framing canvas

Anyone ever frame a canvas painting? A friend of mine asked me to frame a painting of his. I’ve framed a few dozen of his pieces, but always watercolor on paper. My typical frame is glass - art/mat - 1/8” hardboard backer - held tight with framers points - dust cover backing adhered with atg tape. Obviously a canvas piece will have no glass or mat. But are framers points enough to keep it in place? Is a backer board recommended? Should it be wired or hung a different way? He doesn’t care about the wood species or design. Whatever I want, just needs it by Christmas. The stretched canvas is approximately 5/8” thick, 16”x20”. Would like to hear anyone’s experience with this. Thanks!

The canvas is usually already stretched over a plain wood frame (stretcher) which can be inserted into a rebate in the same way you could put glass, matt, art and backing in a photo frame. You need to use a different method of retaining the canvas and its stretcher in the rebate. If the rebate isn't intentionally deep to contain the assembly, then it can be fastened using brackets and screws, wired in, etc. If the rebate is intentionally deep enough to fully surround the canvas and stretcher plus a backer, you can use nails/points as you are used to, but be sure any hanging hardware is on the frame and not on the canvas. There are undoubtedly other methods usable, too.

If the painting is on "canvas board"...mount it like a photo sans the glass.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim!

I’ve framed a number of canvas paintings…I do it similar to this:

https://youtu.be/drXOVN74AMU