Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultrasonic cleaners

Ultrasonic cleaners

I’m looking at getting a decent quality 6-10 liter ultrasonic cleaner. I’d like to keep it under $175. There are dozens, mostly China made in that price range but the reviews are all over the map. Does anyone have experience with them that could offer some advice?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Crest makes excellent units, pretty sure everything except the custom stuff is made in Malaysia but the quality produced by their staff there is quite good.

I worked in their US unit for a few years, welding.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian. The Crest Powersonic series looks very nice but a little more money than I want to spend.
    I'll probably roll the dice and order one of the cheap ones and hope for the best. I don't plan on using it more than once/twice a month.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Fill it part way with water then put the expensive solvent into baggies with the parts. Put the baggies into the water and let it shake. Saves a lot in solvent costs.
    Simple green in water is supposed to work well.
    Bill D

I have four ultrasonic cleaners - Two commercial Branson models, a rifle sized Grizzly unit and an inexpensive Lyman. The used Branson units that were surplused from dental offices that I picked up cheap. One needed a switch replaced, and the other a transducer. I don't have $150 invested between the two of them.

The Grizzly works surprisingly well, but cost around $500 when I bought it. The $99 Lyman is about worthless.

Check the runtime before buying. Can be from minutes to continuous. Major impact on cost.

Do most of these cleaners have heat assist?
    I bought a small cheap Chinese cleaner but it is a waste of time so I am convinced that I want a better quality machine with warming capability.

Blog Entries
    The crest cleaners usually have a heating element.

I take the buy-once, cry-once approach as often as reasonably possible. Cheaper in the long run then buying multiples.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Keith, most of them, even the cheap Asian ones come with a heating element.
    Scott, apparently Grizzly no longer sells ultrasonics, I couldn’t find any on their site.
    Brian, I usually endorse the “cry once” creed. This cleaner will be used infrequently, if it only lasts only a year or two, I will not be too upset.

Andy Rooney

Ours doesn't have a heating element, but we're able to clean most things in it with hot water and Simple Green. We use one of the little electric "Cup Heater" elements to keep the water hot. Works fantastic on motorcycle carburetors and such. No solvents needed.

They're great for getting tiny particulates from parts you can't actually get to but keep your fingers out of the solution!

Quote Originally Posted by kev grover View Post
    They're great for getting tiny particulates from parts you can't actually get to but keep your fingers out of the solution!
    Kev, from what I have been reading, most of the commercial cleaning solutions like Simple Green, Evaporust, and homemade concoctions using Dawn dish soap are pretty safe. That is something that would need to be confirmed before using. Of course, you would want to be careful if the solution is heated to 180*.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Do most of these cleaners have heat assist?
    I bought a small cheap Chinese cleaner but it is a waste of time so I am convinced that I want a better quality machine with warming capability.
    My Branson and Grizzly cleaners have heat assist, and it really makes a difference.

The bottom line on Ultrasonic cleaners is how much power goes into producing the ultrasonic waves. Most of the cheap Chinese ultrasonic cleaners try to lie about the number of watts by listing the heating watts + ultrasonic watts as the number of watts of power. You really want to compare the number of ultrasonic watts between different cleaners. Generally the more power (ultrasonic watts) the faster it will clean.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    I own the 6L version of this ultrasonic cleaner. The 15L version wasn't available when I bought mine and I would buy the 15l version now if possible. It clearly lists the number of ultrasonic watts "ultrasonic power 360W and heating power 400W". I have had mine for about 4 years and it does a nice job on smaller stuff. This one sits on my bathroom sink and I use it for stuff in the house. I also own an industrial ultrasonic cleaner and an ultrasonic blind cleaner both of which are out in the shop.

You don't mention what you want to use an ultrasonic cleaner for? I use my small one for eye glasses, de-scaling shower heads and tap aerators etc. The industrial one does an excellent job on fuel injectors (I put the fuel injector in a plastic bag with Techron in it and then put the plastic bag in the ultrasonic cleaner), carburetors (especially small engine carburetors that are full of scale. some times I just put the whole small engine in the ultrasonic cleaner... for something like a weedeater), tools (put a bunch of greasy tools in and they come out clean with a much better grip), car parts (they work great on plastic parts like interior panels), paint brushes, paint sprayers, etc. I did 5 gallons of used Legos once that turned out perfectly clean and sanitized. Some times I will clean my used brass cases in the industrial ultrasonic cleaner but I usually just tumble them because tumbling is a lot less hassle... no having to spread them out to dry and getting all the water out of the case. I use the blind cleaner for long guns (rifles and shotguns). The blind cleaner is also supposed to be great for golf clubs and golf club grips... but I don't golf.

PICT4069.jpg

For eye glasses I use alcohol and distilled water with a half of drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid.
    In the industrial ultrasonic cleaner I use anything that is soapy. Dawn works great. TSP works great. TSP + Dawn works terrific.

I always heat the water in the ultrasonic tank quite hot then blow out the part with an air gun to get the water off after cleaning. The part gets hot from the water then the bit of water that remains after the air gun evaporates off very quickly. Some parts I rinse and some I don't. If I rinse a part I will do it in hot water to promote evaporation. Metal can flash rust pretty quick after cleaning so be prepared with some oil or wax.

Once I cold blued a beat up Ruger Mark II .22lr hand gun by putting it in a zip lock bag with the blueing agent then put that into the hot ultrasonic cleaner. It turned out really well! Much better than other cold blueing jobs I have done. I thoroughly stripped and cleaned the gun before blueing it, of course.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-29-2021 at 2:05 AM.

Michael, thank you for your informative post. I rolled the dice and ordered the Mophorn 10L. The specs are good, comparatively speaking with 240W cleaning, 200W heating, but it’s still a crapshoot on quality. Maybe I’ll get lucky and get one built on a Tuesday. I would’ve preferred to find a budget American/western made cleaner but they all started around $500 which was more than I wanted to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RNBDQLY...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Andy Rooney