Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving Plywood

John, my situation is very similar to yours and I started with the Bora Portamate, which is very awkward to use. I got the Rockler material mate and love it. I move material from my truck, up a small ramp, over the door threshold and into the shop. Its easy to use, and is well made, and a bargain for what it does. Lifting sheets of ply or mdf by yourself through a regular door way is asking for back problems. I use mine everyday and consider it a essential part of my shop.
    I was just on Rocklers site and saw they have a $50 rewards card offer with it.

I have cut things in the parking lot before but I don't do it any more, since I got a pickup and can easily haul full sheets. What I normally do is park the truck and carry the sheets inside and flop them down on my outfeed/assembly/track saw cutting table. I put a sheet of 1 inch foam on top to avoid cutting up the table surface. I think a smarter way to do it is to back up the garage door near the cutting table and just slide the sheet(s) onto the table and cut them with the track saw.

If I could not do this, I have a few plastic tables, the kind that fold up and say they seat 6. Maybe 5 feet by 3 feet. With a piece of foam on top, this should be a barely adequate cutting station (my table is 7x3). I would slide the sheets out of the truck onto the table and cut it up.

I do not cut full sheets on the table saw in my shop. I just do not have the space. It is easier and safer and just as accurate to use my track saw. I think they are a great back saving option. You have to learn to use them, like any new tool, but I am firmly convinced it is worth it. I bought one for my church for about $250 getting an Evolution saw, two PowerTec clamps and two 50 inch Wen rails. With a 7.25 inch 60 tooth Freud blade it makes great cuts. It is not as nice as my DeWalt but it cost less than half as much and is a better option for a lot of people who want or need to spend less.

I have found this little skate very useful for moving sheets of sheet metal and plywood around the shop.
    David

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

speed skate.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Do you draw crowds and sell tickets for that track saw demonstration in the parking lot, Rich? (Seriously, that's an interesting idea to cut it down at the source)
    I bought a sheet of prefinised plywood at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago to use as a shelf. I had to cut it down to fit in my SUV (Ford Edge) so I hauled my Kreg Mobile Project Center, cordless saw and a couple of clamps down with me. I set up under the canopy next to the contractor's entrance (it was raining the day) and cut the sheet in to four 2' x 4' pieces. I had a few people watching with interest as I set up and cut, but no one asked any questions. The HD employee who helped me lay the sheet of plywood on the bench commented that this was a great idea. It worked well, and since I'm using the wood for shelves, I'll re-cut the edges to be perfectly straight anyway. It saved trying to beg/borrow/rent a pickup truck for the 80 mile round-trip drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post
    It is not an inexpensive option but the Felder FAT 300 hydraulic lift table has been a fantastic option for my shop. Not only do I use it to haul plywood and lift it up to put on my saw but it is a great work surface/assembly table that allows you to raise and lower the work piece for sanding, cutting assembly etc., rather than trying to adapt your body. It will handle 600 lbs and it has been very beneficial to me being able to load and unload things from my truck.

Attachment 468692Attachment 468693
    It appears that there is a foot pedal on the left side of the cart as it is pictured. I assume this is a foot pump for raising the table? If so does this get covered when the table is all the way down and you have a 4x8 sheet on the table?

The foot pedal does get covered, but it is easy enough to slide the 4x8 sheet forward enough on the table to gain access to the pedal. The Felder FAT 300S model has foot pedals on each side to allow easier access when you have a 4x8 sheet loaded.
    Last edited by Pat Rice; 12-02-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post
    The foot pedal does get covered, but it is easy enough to slide the 4x8 sheet forward enough on the table to gain access to the pedal. The Felder FAT 300S model has foot pedals on each side to allow easier access when you have a 4x8 sheet loaded.
    Thank you. I like the idea of the lift table but this concerned me. There was a nice hydraulic scissor lift table on CL for $300 a week ago and I passed on it due to the whole handle pumped to raise the table like a pallet jack. Seemed like it would be even more of a problem than the foot pump.

If your daughter's boyfriend is a framer, you'd be surprised how easy it is to move plywood. My job is to stay out of the way. Trying to help slows things down. Admittedly, he slows down with 3/4" MDF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    If your daughter's boyfriend is a framer, you'd be surprised how easy it is to move plywood. My job is to stay out of the way. Trying to help slows things down. Admittedly, he slows down with 3/4" MDF.
    LOL...I haven't used that kind of service for plywood, but daughter's SO is who I call when I do need help with something at this point. It's a good technique
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I picked up a sheet of 3/4 BCX for a navity decoration I have almost finished. I hauled it inside the way I normally do and threw it down on my outfeed/accessory table to cut up. But it was heavy. I am getting closer to setting up a table or sawhorses or something in the driveway and just sliding the sheet out onto those to cut it up. I do not use that may sheets of plywood any more but that's probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I'm pretty sure Larry Lee stopped selling his crazy horse dolly as it was unprofitable- too bad. If they are still available I would like to know.
    +1 on this. I got one of the last Crazy Horse dollies from Larry before he called it quits.
    That thing has given me a new lease on life. Just brilliant how easily hit handles materials with control. Besides sheet goods, I have stacked 8/4 lumber and used it to maneuver through the shop without injury or exertion.

There is a place called West Oak Studios somewhere in SoCal that does workshops where you can make a Crazy Horse Dolly. It wouldn't be hard to make one yourself frankly. You might have to get creative in making the head/top. The 1" speed nut comes from a well known vendor of drywall handling products, I can't think of their name right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    I bought a sheet of prefinised plywood at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago to use as a shelf. I had to cut it down to fit in my SUV (Ford Edge)
    Derek,

I have a Ford Edge. A 4 x 8 sheet fits in the back if you slide it in diagonally.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    +1 on this. I got one of the last Crazy Horse dollies from Larry before he called it quits.
    That thing has given me a new lease on life. Just brilliant how easily hit handles materials with control. Besides sheet goods, I have stacked 8/4 lumber and used it to maneuver through the shop without injury or exertion.

There is a place called West Oak Studios somewhere in SoCal that does workshops where you can make a Crazy Horse Dolly. It wouldn't be hard to make one yourself frankly. You might have to get creative in making the head/top. The 1" speed nut comes from a well known vendor of drywall handling products, I can't think of their name right now.
    Michael at West Oak took over the Crazy Horse from Larry. He has made a couple improvements to the dolly and cuts the ply parts on his CNC. Not sure if he will supply the metal parts or plans but his price seems reasonable. I got the last aluminum horse from Larry and Michael left one of his at my shop to demo in our shaper and door making workshops. I have no affiliation with his business nor sell these. I just think they are a great product.
    .51F53242-E902-45E3-BDFE-A2DBB7338322.jpg
    83798A01-EDF7-4053-81DC-73FCB6D57870.jpeg

I'm glad to hear the crazy horse is still alive. It cut the wear and tear on my back in half. I would highly recommend it to anyone who works with large panels and has room for it (enough space to jockey a flat panel around on swivel casters).

I got one of the last kits from Larry. I am still finding new uses.

No better way to go from truck to saw.

Makes a great "tail man" when ripping long, wide, heavy stuff.