Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robot vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    As always, Jim has the correct answer. They keep the dog and cat hair down enough to be able to walk around, and make the actual cleaning much easier. Not a replacement.
    There are some units that appear to be better optimized for pet households than others...choose wisely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There are some units that appear to be better optimized for pet households than others...choose wisely.
    "Self-cleaning brush" is high on my must-have list: I have an older cordless Dyson that could use work in that area.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think a regular version wouldn't like that environment, but there have been some heavier duty versions available for more extreme conditions. Check the specifications carefully and remember, even the largest of these things is relatively small, so space to hold what's swept up into the holding "tank" is very limited.

Thanks for the insight Jim.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

We've had a Roomba and now a Shark with the self emptying base. The Roomba was okay but the Shark is great. It's much quieter and it rarely gets caught someplace. We have vinyl plank and a couple area rugs. Works well. We do have a dog that sheds badly so every week to 10 days we have to remove hair even though it's supposed to not have an issue with that. I don't think they knew a dog could lose so much. LOL It does map the layout and in the bigger rooms goes back and forth. The Roomba just bumped and turned it's way around. So We are Shark fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I don't think they knew a dog could lose so much.
    "Corgis only shed twice a year."
    "Yeah, once for seven months, once for five."
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

We went through three generations of Roombas, as I was fascinated with the concept. When I gave up I concluded that they were great as long as you had a minimal amount of furniture, no area rugs, and no pets. Ours routinely got themselves stuck among table and chair legs where they couldn't find a way out, would die trying to suck up the fringes on our oriental carpets, or be unable to surmount the bump at the edge of the carpet to get up onto it, or would suffer indigestion from cat hair if they actually succeeded in avoiding the first two hazards long enough to do any vacuuming.

It's been about five years since I tried one, have these kinds of problems actually been solved?

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    We went through three generations of Roombas, as I was fascinated with the concept. When I gave up I concluded that they were great as long as you had a minimal amount of furniture, no area rugs, and no pets. Ours routinely got themselves stuck among table and chair legs where they couldn't find a way out, would die trying to suck up the fringes on our oriental carpets, or be unable to surmount the bump at the edge of the carpet to get up onto it, or would suffer indigestion from cat hair if they actually succeeded in avoiding the first two hazards long enough to do any vacuuming.

It's been about five years since I tried one, have these kinds of problems actually been solved?
    The Shark is eons ahead of the Roomba it replaced. Loose cords can cause problems although it has unplugged things too so we make sure they are routed out of it's reach. As far as area rugs and obstacles it hops on and off them effortlessly. The old Roomba couldn't climb up the one we currently have. It's probably about an inch high. The big difference is the Shark needs light and the Roomba didn't. We always ran the Roomba at night or when we were gone because of noise. Each morning it was did it make it home and if not where is it stuck. The Shark is very quiet and it runs while we are up and about. It doesn't replace the need to clean conventionally but it helps keep things looking good in between. Especially with a dog that should be hairless with all the shedding but he isn't.

I've never had a robot vacuum, though I can see that they are cute. Those who use them extensively, what do you do to clean your stairs? My understanding is that they can't travel on stairs, and are they able to get into corners and clean the whole corner of the floor or is there a little radius of dust left behind?

I can confirm what Ron mentioned about the Shark wanting light to work well and we flip on overhead lighting when Monk does its daily run around the first floor. (running at night isn't a thing for us anyway because it would disturb our birds)
    --

Just want to thank everyone for all the helpful comments and personal experiences. Hopefully I have arrived at a decision.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    I've never had a robot vacuum, though I can see that they are cute. Those who use them extensively, what do you do to clean your stairs? My understanding is that they can't travel on stairs, and are they able to get into corners and clean the whole corner of the floor or is there a little radius of dust left behind?
    They can't get into the corner completely but even a conventional vacuum takes a little effort and maybe even using a hand tool. Since our floors are vinyl plank they get broomed there anyway. No stairs are out of the question for a robot but then they are not something an upright can easily handle either. If you have carpeted treads you will either be using a hand held or a tool on a hose from either a canister or an upright with a tool kit. They are a cleaning aid but they don't make it so nothing else needs to be done to keep the premises clean.

We have two. An old Room a and a newer Roborock S4, which is amazing. Maps with a laser. Smart. Integrates with Alexa and Google Home. Has three modes and is very systematic. Really like it.

Blog Entries
    I've got a roomba and it does basic cleaning pretty well. I will say this, it's like a pet, a pet you don't like very much that buzzes under your feet when you want to be left alone.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

I've a buddy with 4 of the roborocks (2 houses, 2 levels, not sure which model) and he raves about them. Seems like everyone he shows them to goes out and buys one. I have one on my list, once all the remodeling is finished.

I'm a little concerned about how my dog will react to it, but I figure we can always let it run at night when the dog's in our bedroom. Those of you with dogs, how do they react to it?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    I will say this, it's like a pet, a pet you don't like very much that buzzes under your feet when you want to be left alone.
    Yea, if "Monk" is working and I'm trying to do prep work or something in the kitchen, guess where it heads? "Dancing Chef" results...and it's hip-hop out of necessity.
    --